• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Drone Fishing

Oldbullett

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone done this before? I have just purchased a drone which can take 2.5kg bait out to 1.7km

However due to UK law it is only 500m

I must confess I have thought about this several times before, be interesting to hear from someone who has

JC put up a good video about it back in August. OK, he's in Florida, but I still found it interesting, until I saw the price of the Swellpro Drone he was using - $1799!

I suppose it depends on the venue but the idea that the further you cast the more fish you'll catch does not really compute. It might get you further but the most I can put on my reels is about 300yds and I'd want to keep some in reserve just in case I did hook into something big so 500m is out of the question. Unless I bought a bigger reel I suppose. Sorry for being so negative and I do hope that, if you really try it, you catch more than just whiting and dogs .

My old drone was 7.5k, certainly didn't dare fish with that and sold it when we wrapped up.

Never got a smaller one sadly to try it with. Alot do it in the states so I will get it done one day when funds permit. Even a smaller drone worth a toss is £500-600 plus
A boat would be better me thinks even if you have to row out in calm waters.

The advantage of a drone is they are a absolute doddle to operate. I have alot of RC experience and drones are a cake walk compared to stick flying fixed wing and heli. There incredibly dangerous really as the tech does all the flying and thus alot of numpties own them. This becomes a problem when the tech fails of course :ROFLMAO:

Theres minimal risk to you as oppose to a boat and rough weather within reason is fine too. I'd happily send a good quality drone up in 35mph/ 40mph winds. But I am experienced enough to land it manually every time over GPS so wind won't skew landing.

Some people add some line with a clip in the middle at the drone bottom that will release the line with merely the bail arm been brought over.

The more savvy approach is to repurpose one of the servo inputs on the drone so say gimbal tilt left right becomes open servo and close for release hook. This isn't a issue as your gimbal still tilts up and down and the drone can pan side to side with the rotors for you. This means you can in effect Hunt shoals of fish in clearly conditions with the camera and drop into them. I've seen it done with Tuna in the USA.

If you've got the cash to play with it's a serious fun toy/ tool for fishing. Some DJI drones even have conversion kits now on eBay for peanuts. Mavic range I believe. If I'd had one the past few days I would of been out 250-275 yards and past the breakers nicely.

There is also other considerations like drone registration, rules in public, insurance etc. But your not flying commercially so for example if tidal grounds you have permission from her majesty as she owned that area. Landowners permission and your fine too.

I really wish I had some more cash spare as it's such a cool toy haha. If anyone interested drop me and pm and I'd be more than happy to offer advice.
That is why I said use a boat in calm waters - doh!!!

Just had a thought, how can you control a multiplier & fly a drone at the same time ?? YOU can't !!!!

Your lot are right miserable old c#nts :ROFLMAO:

I'm sure you piss just as many people off fishing as their hobbies do to you. You can tell most of your are nearly dead your so miserable :ROFLMAO:
That makes two of us then :ROFLMAO:;)

That makes two of us then :ROFLMAO:;)
Good sport seeing how many numbnuts you can hit with a 4oz lead, especially paddle borders and windsurfers who like to get within casting range trying to mess up ones fishing. 🎖️

A couple of years ago I watched a chap “drone fishing”
It was a complete laugh, he was so up himself , flying his bait out further than anybod else. Bringing his drone back and landing it, sat watching his rods ( 2) on the tripod , lines out probably well over 300 yards.
Plonker.
Never had a bite , even if he did I doubt he would have seen it , the line was braid and ended up getting pulled downtide over everybody elses ,lots of weed wrapped around it, biggest cock up you ever saw and he managed to piss a good 15 anglers off .

I dont doubt used wisely it “ may” work but as most anglers cast over what they are fishing for anyway it makes me wonder what is swimming around out there , lots of sea and not so many fish .

Dave

Back