• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Escape to the Pier!

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
After 4 weeks of 24/7 Wifey in France, and another 10 days Covid lockdown here, I was starting to climb the walls of Hell, and so when Chief Officer Mitchell suggested a few hours fishing, it had to be done. Not sure I'm Covid negative yet, but I had to get out and get some socially distanced fresh air.

Quite a few "schoolboy errors" (as John called them!) became apparent. As I arrived at the Pier, I was cursing myself for going out in shorts, as there was a hell of a wind blowing, so should have put me Jeans on and should have taken a jacket. No sign of John when I arrived, but he was soon catching me up on the long walk to the end of the Pier. John was on a mission to catch some Bream for his species hunt (he had heard they were about) so was fully gunned with bait rods, lure rod & tripod, whereas I was out for some fresh air and the chance of some Mackerel so just took a lure rod & a Bass rod.

John was soon sorted with both bait rods out, but having not seen him for a couple of months, I was taking my time & chatting. "Bloody wind, it's not too warm" I said to John. "It's going to drop in a while", and he was right. Turned into a lovely evening. Sorted my rods out - SG Surf Seeker on the Lure rod & a string of 4 'pipe' lures with a 70gm Dexter wedge went on the Bass rod. Another little error - forgot my 'bits & bobs' box with my lure clips, so scrounged a couple off John, and promptly lost one!

IMG_20220719_212301.jpg

It wasn't long before John spotted some Mackerel jumping on the inner side of the Pier, so we were in! 3 for me and 5 for John in a short space of time. Just before the above photo, I realised another error - no phone in pocket, so a long trek back up the Pier to check if it was in Jeepy, which it was. John had a couple more whilst I was gone. Unfortunately there was no sign of any Bream but as it got dark, a few Pout were liking John's worm baits!

IMG_20220719_212444.jpg

As it got dark, things went quiet on the Mackerel front, though I did have another big one from the seaward side. In fact, all of the Mackerel we had were a decent size.

Whilst we were there, there was a fuel tanker came out from the depot up the estuary, and I was shocked to see it get within about 10 metres of the end of the pier as it headed out to sea. Again, this was before I'd fetched my phone, so didn't get a photo, but I did catch the next one coming in! More unleaded for Jeepy!

1658317874917.png

By now there was nothing happening with the lures, so I was thinking about packing up, and the following conversation took place!

Me: How long are you staying John?
John: Probably until 11pm.
Me: Well it's 10.18 now so I'm going to pack my rods up.
John: I thought you were going to fillet your fish?
Me: Clean them, not fillet them, and I want to put the gear away first so that I don't get Mackerel scales all over it.
I saw this one coming, it's happened before!!
John: Well get your finger out, I know you don't mind gutting fish, so you can do mine too! Cheeky Monkey!

I got my knife out and started feeding the Gulls, John was peering over the wall to see if he could spot any Conger!

1658318417821.png

John scratched his head, decided he only wanted 5 to take home for a feed and Coco the dog, so kindly donated 2 to me. Turned out to be a great evening, thanks to John for helping me escape! The beauty of fishing until midnight was a swift traffic free journey home across the city.

Got home, gave the Fish a final clean and got them in the fridge. Might have some for tea tonight. Would have loved to have a couple straight in the pan last night but it was far too late.

1658318862266.png

Great to get out, and great to be able to put a report up! Sorry if it is a bit long, but I've got to make the best of the opportunity! ????

Well done Dave on the mackerel mate , thanks for gutting my fish , which I just had for lunch and coco says yum yum . Nice to meet up again and to have the pier almost to ourselves, on the long walk back I could see the pier was empty

Well done Dave on the mackerel mate , thanks for gutting my fish , which I just had for lunch and coco says yum yum . Nice to meet up again and to have the pier almost to ourselves, on the long walk back I could see the pier was empty
It was such a good night that, if the weather holds, I might pop out again, maybe tomorrow. I think if you started fishing with a lure rod near the end of the pier, and followed the Mackerel shoals back up to the start of the pier which is how they seemed to be moving last night, you could have a fair few more! Wondering how those guys fared who were setting up at the start of the pier when I went back to get my phone. ??

Nice one tramp good to see you out dangling bey Mithalls spent to long flicking now dosent know how to catch fish with bait ???time you come on a road trip with yer nephew to chisel if yer arfter bream jhon bey ?good stuff trampy????

Nice report good stuff . And doesn't look packed for a pier venue either which is nice !!
Even for a weeknight, it was dead quiet. There were a few guys fishing for mackerel when we arrived about 8pm, but they all went home soon after that, leaving one foreign guy who was intent on filling a large coolbox. ?? There was a few walkers whilst we were there, but the whole pier was empty when we left just after 11pm.

It's suprising how long it seems in the dark, just checked - 279 metres! So allowing for me having to go back to Jeepy & get my phone, I had well over 1km of exercise last night! ??

Great report and fantastic pictures mate. And well done. Tight lines.

Ian.

Nice one tramp good to see you out dangling bey Mithalls spent to long flicking now dosent know how to catch fish with bait ???time you come on a road trip with yer nephew to chisel if yer arfter bream jhon bey ?good stuff trampy????
Black bream and couches bream both caught off the pier this weekend just gone , so it was worth a go , bit windy when we first got there .

Well done on the fishes Dave, bet was nice getting out after all that time, shame much else didnt come out. I thought the wind would be a bit strong there.

Black bream and couches bream both caught off the pier this weekend just gone
yeah but on LRF gear not clunking big baits Lol.

I thought the wind would be a bit strong there.
Yea, it was to start with, and I was cursing not having put trousers on, but John said the wind would drop, it did, and it turned out to be a pleasant evening.

Yea, it was to start with, and I was cursing not having put trousers on, but John said the wind would drop, it did, and it turned out to be a pleasant evening.
Can't see any comments from the one usually nibbling your testicles?:oops:
:rolleyes:

Back