• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Fathom mk2 sd mag

Reevsey

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all im after your points of view .Ive decided to treat myself to a new reel its gonna be a fathom mk2 magged but cant decide which one 12 or 15 . Its to compliment a t800 sgt and to be used around south devon and chesil area . Look forward to hear any opinions you may have . Cheers

I have the 15s for 0.4-0.45mm mono, believe the 15 can take 250m of 0.4mm.

With the 12 its 250m of 0.35? Though I know @Tournamag brims his and may get a few more metres than most on his 12s.

With the 12 its 250m of 0.35? Though I know @Tournamag brims his and may get a few more metres than most on his 12s.
Can you cast that far? o_O

Hi all im after your points of view .Ive decided to treat myself to a new reel its gonna be a fathom mk2 magged but cant decide which one 12 or 15 . Its to compliment a t800 sgt and to be used around south devon and chesil area . Look forward to hear any opinions you may have . Cheers

Myself 12 all-day/Everyday there isn't a great deal of difference in capacity between them or not that it will effect anyone fishing as field use maybe if can whang it five miles?.The 12 will handle brimmed ok while 15 won't unless can cast really smooth but fishing wise you have things like rig/weight etc to restrict airflow unlike on a field so will be far harder to get it spot on as same magnet amount but spool on 12 is lighter!
IE Far less rotating Mass/Centrifugal force so more controllable.
Ive 12's/15's and MK1 525's and 12's see most use have around .30-34 but most tell lies like many females Hey i'm slim and don't eat much Err NO so both Fat! so go with .35 and has enough line.
Many squeal about snapping off well either reel will see you hampered if do and far down spool and for most it's at leader knot it breaks anyway.
Plus T800 perfect with a 12 4-5oz rod some decent .33'ish line spot on

Clean bearings out on spool and re oil with something Funky like Rocket or TSF321 oil but don't clean blue grease out of cage as that protects metal.
All my reels get a wipe over with ACF50 so cack just drops off them now as seen some Fathoms that look like been Pretty Cosy down with the titanic where corroded!
@chesilpete is doing the exact same thing with his new 12's instead of Kitty Fiddler 7HT ST's

What line diameter will you be using?
Im gonna be using 15 to 18lb max .
Was originally thinking of getting the 12 for the reason's Tournamag has just stated but not sure if the 15 would be the safer bet . Does any body know what the actual widths of both spools are ? Appreciate your input lads

I sold those mk1 Fathoms towards the end of 2019 when I made my switch to FS and braid, but recently when I wanted some multis in the collection again I went for the Fathom 15 2 mags, mainly because I use larger diameter line if I fish a multi in the Bristol channel.

So for me, 0.4-0.45mm line is my norm (usually 0.45mm), so the 15 was the way to go for me, if you use 0.35mm or lower I'd go the 12.

I sold those mk1 Fathoms towards the end of 2019 when I made my switch to FS and braid, but recently when I wanted some multis in the collection again I went for the Fathom 15 2 mags, mainly because I use larger diameter line if I fish a multi in the Bristol channel.

So for me, 0.4-0.45mm line is my norm (usually 0.45mm), so the 15 was the way to go for me, if you use 0.35mm or lower I'd go the 12.
With the Thicker line it Negates the rotational mass penalty as level drops quicker.

I am off out tomo with a pair of fathom 2, 12 size, both overspooled with .30 which I have cleaned out and have an over 2 minute spin time...... what could go wrong eh!
The purpose of this exercise to see if I can get a reel with some cranking power and distance close to my 7ht sts.
They may be used once and in classifieds tomo evening!.
I will report back.......

my penn fathoms 12 have 220 yds of 18 lb line on them they are ok for most things ,may leave a bit of line on them if small bait , the 7ht go better may be 20 -30 yds further but not cranking power of the penn .

my penn fathoms 12 have 220 yds of 18 lb line on them they are ok for most things ,may leave a bit of line on them if small bait , the 7ht go better may be 20 -30 yds further but not cranking power of the penn .
Any good for hauling in whales?

Back