• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice FG knot?

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Last session out I noticed my leader knot had somehow twisted back on itself and was sitting proud in the spool, enough for it to have been messy had I cast again without sorting it out.
This is on my Okuma 8k surf, 30lb 8 strand braid connected to 80lb 4 strand braid shock leader, both chinese, using an improved albright knot.

The knot is small and short which may have accounted for the twist. It is the first issue I have had with it and no other problems with it after it was sorted.

The FG knot is a longer knot and I was wondering if anyone used that for connecting braid to braid for shore bait fishing? If not what do you use out of all of the options avaialble?

Are use the improved Albright as well, I’ve tied the FG a few times but I just don’t have confidence in it, the knot itself isn’t the problem it’s my tying of the not that I don’t trust

I use the fg knot for all my leaders, but I only use braid mainline (30-65lb 8 strand) and mono leaders (20-80lb). It's by far the best 'knot' I've ever used for leaders, it's very strong and incredibly small, plus it's really smooth through the guides when casting/reeling in.

If I was using braid to braid, I'd be looking toward a uni to uni knot I think. That seems to be a very popular one with braid to braid users, though I do believe they double the line before tying or do alot more turns?

Simples - just use mono straight through. Just jesting ;)

I use the fg knot for all my leaders, but I only use braid mainline (30-65lb 8 strand) and mono leaders (20-80lb). It's by far the best 'knot' I've ever used for leaders, it's very strong and incredibly small, plus it's really smooth through the guides when casting/reeling in.

If I was using braid to braid, I'd be looking toward a uni to uni knot I think. That seems to be a very popular one with braid to braid users, though I do believe they double the line before tying or do alot more turns?
I went braid to braid as I didn't want a big knot, especially when using the vercelli's, hadn't thought of FG to nylon/fluoro leaders for the heavy shore stuff.

I went braid to braid as I didn't want a big knot, especially when using the vercelli's, hadn't thought of FG to nylon/fluoro leaders for the heavy shore stuff.
I use the Fg knot on 28 lb braid to 80lb Braid leader not something that’s easy to tie on the beach but I’ve never had one fail on the knot itself

I use the Fg knot on 28 lb braid to 80lb Braid leader not something that’s easy to tie on the beach but I’ve never had one fail on the knot itself
I suppose my reluctance, apart from the degree of difficulty in the tying, is that it is not really a knot designed for rattling repeatedly in and out of the rod eyes, possibly because it is only secured by a few half hitches.

I suppose my reluctance, apart from the degree of difficulty in the tying, is that it is not really a knot designed for rattling repeatedly in and out of the rod eyes, possibly because it is only secured by a few half hitches.
You'd be surprised how sturdy the fg knot is and how long it takes to sustain any damage on the knot in normal use. I can't say I've had one fray or fail due to going though the rings, actually, the only one to fail was a poorly tied one that failed when checking it before reeling the leader on the reel. Not sure I've had one fail as such in use, I've had the leader snap and main line snap when pulling for a break, but not the knot to my knowledge.
That is one thing to bear in mind, a strong knot can be a pain if you have any damage in your main line as the line will always break at the weakest point so worth checking lines regularly.

That’s wot I thought but saw a South African on YouTube angler useing it for catching big fish so followed suit to catch small fish ? orso saw some yanks doing Strength tests against over knots and it come out tops

I saw that just now, i thought the strength in the knot came from the mono.
I’ve not tried it as it seems quite a big knot. My theory would be it clattering the rings, slowing the the lead speed causing a birdie……. Could be wrong though.

Back