• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice FG knot?

I saw that just now, i thought the strength in the knot came from the mono.
I’ve not tried it as it seems quite a big knot. My theory would be it clattering the rings, slowing the the lead speed causing a birdie……. Could be wrong though.
Well still smaller than a mono knot and haven’t had any problems with it tbh

Found it brilliant for joining 30lbs braid to a 25lbs flouro leader for deep water spinning 3oz weights for pollock . Very strong for pulling out of snags and streamlined .. quite sad really haha but just looking at the knot is satisfying its a work of art and total strength when tied properly.

I have been using the FG knot , 40 lb braid to 70 lb braid leader for about 5 or 6 years now, never ever had a knot failure at all.

The lighter braid really ‘ bites” into the heavier braid creating a nice slim join.

The harder you pull the slimmer the knot gets .

Ideal and see no reason to change things .

Or, if you like, dont try to fix what is not broken.

I always tie leaders at home, and although I carry spares I have never ever needed to tie myself one on the beach , although I did tie one for a mate who snapped off ten days ago. He had never seen an FG knot tied and was suprised at how quickly it can be done.

Dave

Is least it's not a Fkg knot. ?

Left and right is one wrap. I think a 20 wrap fg knot is usually about 20mm long without the half hitches.
Its worth checking the knot thoroughly before using it as they can look and feel pretty solid, but will give way if not tied tight enough.
Good tension when tying the main 'knot' is the key to success I've found.

I managed to tie a 12 wrap FG with a rezutto finish yesterday on one of my reels and gave it a go last night. All seemed to go well with it.

I could only manage a 12 turn as any more wouldn't cinch down tight. I was tying it loose as some of the videos showed.

30lb 8 strand chinese braid mainline and 80lb 4 strand chinese braid leader.

Last edited:
Fg knot all the time I always blob the tag end of the flouro leader with a lighter just for added security

Fg knot all the time I always blob the tag end of the flouro leader with a lighter just for added security
Good plan. I usually add a drop of rig glue or superglue too. It 'smoothes' the knot and I think it travels better through the rings.

The grinner can slip for a easy reliable knot for hooks/swivels look at the palmar knot

Totally agree with JJ, I've not had a grinner slip or come undone myself when using flouro, I have only used Berkley trilene though (20/30/50lb). I'm not sure if different brands react differently to different knots or something though as I hear alot of people struggle with knots on flouro.
That Palomar knot is amazing when using braid straight through to connect swivels or lures, super fast to tie and very reliable, never tried it on flouro or mono though...

A grinner will slip when tied in flouro under pressure
I bought a spool of fluoro last year specifically for leaders on my lure fishing gear. I used an improved albright to tievit and the 29lb (?) 8x j braid together. Pulled the knot tight and it slipped straight through. Tied it again same thing. Went back to my 15lb clear maxima, no issues.
I again this year withe the FG though to see if that stays put.

Back