• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast First cod.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Following good reports on here and from other fishing friends I was drawn to Chesil. I was going to fish it previously with an overseas visitor, after taking advice from Pete and others, but it fell though.

Went to Ferrybridge and decided that if l was doing it, I would have the full experience and endure the hike! I tried to pack lightly and failed miserably at a now weighed 45lbs. Set off on the easy stuff then up onto the top of the bank, then trudge. There was space straight over and a few people fishing West. I decide to head West past them. That is a tough old walk. I kept going until past the posts on the top of the bank and set up with it still daylight. 1 rod heavy with blacks and squid, 1 rod three hook flappers and small hooks with variable baits to see what was around. No weed which was a godsend after fishing the West Solent.

The guys I had spoken with on the way said it was very quiet, so the fishing its tits off bit had finished by the sound of it. The baits were lasting 25 mins tops and back to bare hooks.

Nothing much happening, but the big bait rod gave a couple of almost nothing nods. Lets see. Wind down lift and there was weight. It was a dead weight and no kicks or lunges. Get it though the surf and its a COD! I was over the moon cause thats my first. I must say though it was not the most exciting fish I have caught, it just felt like weed and was no monster. I was still very happy with it though.
20220825_164336.jpg
The cod came around 10 o clock, so around low. The rest of the night was quiet. I saw some camera flashes to the East of me, so like to think the other guys had some. The next fish in was a conger. It was very powerfull and did not want to come in. Completely different to the cod. Got it through the pull near the shore and just onto the beach where it spat the hook and slid back into the surf. It saved me unhooking it I suppose. The same happend to a mate days before and he reckons his would have been a pb.

Next fish was a small black bream. After that nothing. I had a short kip under my brolly after making a nice shingle pillow. After trying it, it was too low so I added more stones! Managed 40 mins, then baited up again hoping for a change of form and hopefuly a trigger with the sunrise. It was not to be and the sunrise was nothing but a dull brightening and the thought of that walk back was haunting me a bit. It was a long session around 12 hours and I did get my cod and the walk there and back was a test. That said, I definitely want to fish it again with these big tides coming up.

Thanks again to people who gave me advice and good luck if you are out.

Following good reports on here and from other fishing friends I was drawn to Chesil. I was going to fish it previously with an overseas visitor, after taking advice from Pete and others, but it fell though.

Went to Ferrybridge and decided that if l was doing it, I would have the full experience and endure the hike! I tried to pack lightly and failed miserably at a now weighed 45lbs. Set off on the easy stuff then up onto the top of the bank, then trudge. There was space straight over and a few people fishing West. I decide to head West past them. That is a tough old walk. I kept going until past the posts on the top of the bank and set up with it still daylight. 1 rod heavy with blacks and squid, 1 rod three hook flappers and small hooks with variable baits to see what was around. No weed which was a godsend after fishing the West Solent.

The guys I had spoken with on the way said it was very quiet, so the fishing its tits off bit had finished by the sound of it. The baits were lasting 25 mins tops and back to bare hooks.

Nothing much happening, but the big bait rod gave a couple of almost nothing nods. Lets see. Wind down lift and there was weight. It was a dead weight and no kicks or lunges. Get it though the surf and its a COD! I was over the moon cause thats my first. I must say though it was not the most exciting fish I have caught, it just felt like weed and was no monster. I was still very happy with it though.
View attachment 31381
The cod came around 10 o clock, so around low. The rest of the night was quiet. I saw some camera flashes to the East of me, so like to think the other guys had some. The next fish in was a conger. It was very powerfull and did not want to come in. Completely different to the cod. Got it through the pull near the shore and just onto the beach where it spat the hook and slid back into the surf. It saved me unhooking it I suppose. The same happend to a mate days before and he reckons his would have been a pb.

Next fish was a small black bream. After that nothing. I had a short kip under my brolly after making a nice shingle pillow. After trying it, it was too low so I added more stones! Managed 40 mins, then baited up again hoping for a change of form and hopefuly a trigger with the sunrise. It was not to be and the sunrise was nothing but a dull brightening and the thought of that walk back was haunting me a bit. It was a long session around 12 hours and I did get my cod and the walk there and back was a test. That said, I definitely want to fish it again with these big tides coming up.

Thanks again to people who gave me advice and good luck if you are out.
A little bit further onto the bend mate..... nice report and well done on a cods!.

Well done goatee I got my codling a couple of weeks back at chesil as well , no fight at all . However the trigger fish I caught did fight WOW
I know mate. I have had a trigger fixation for a few years now. Your haul there was the stuff of dreams and part of the reason the top fronts of my legs ache trying to duplicate your success.

A little bit further onto the bend mate..... nice report and well done on a cods!.
Thanks. Even further! My electric powered trollies would be no good. Heard of sledges being used. Wonder if I can do something with light weight tracks!

I know mate. I have had a trigger fixation for a few years now. Your haul there was the stuff of dreams and part of the reason the top fronts of my legs ache trying to duplicate your success.
Those pebbles are hard work , after driving home for 2 hours plus I get out of the car and can hardly walk

Thanks. Even further! My electric powered trollies would be no good. Heard of sledges being used. Wonder if I can do something with light weight tracks!
What you want is some Wide/wider boots ive a pair of Muck lace up Thermal (Antarctic Chugging)Boots have a wider sole they glide over shingle compared to others sinking in for far less effort! Only issue is unless Minus 100 it's a pair of boil in the bag feet!
Mind i find my Grub boots with Vibram soles easier than the short arse muck ones which have there shite sole that isn't as supportive ie softer.
Mind you can get those things that strap on boots for slippery surfaces they might help?

just about to leave for a session up there today then back again tomorrow using up my brownie points I got in credit. Tides are building do should find some flow and hopefully get them moving a bit. So long walk to look forward to today with to much gear as usual ?

Great report Goatee! Nice photo of the Coddie too! Well done that man! ????

Was well past there this eve. Fair bit of slimey weed around. At least that far down it was quiet fishing wise it was strange had seven codling but the bites were really shy just sat there and not moving off with the bait. Was hard to tell if it was small fish or the tide catching the weed. Had a couple of scad on pop ups. Spiders are still about as well. Caught on both blacks and rag baits but small baits and hooks anything over a 2/0 and nothing. Cogden tomorrow evening looking forward to it. ?

Back