• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Flask cleaning

Put 2 or 3 of the tabs into the flask then pour boiling (or almost boiling) water into the flask. Dont fill right up as the tabs will foam. Any supermarket will have them as well as any chemist, I get mine at the local corner shop. Dont screw the cap back on or you could have something akin to an IED
???? I’ll leave it outside the mosque just in case ?

We used to use Chlorous to clean flasks.

o_OProper stuff not weak bleach:LOL::LOL:(y)(y)

But end up foaming at the mouth.Bit like Rabies.
True story my mother used to care for her uncle who was in his early 90's anyway once day when she was visiting him he said to her would you like those sweets on the mantle shelf ? I tried them but to be honest I could only eat a couple of them the are not my cup of tea. So my mum goes over and takes a look and finds a tube of Steradent tablets :ROFLMAO:

No messing about I use half a tea spoon and fill with 1.9 lites hot water next day sparkling clean a couple of rinse out job done And it descale as well ?
38629C6C-6263-4BED-97E3-3FEB08CF586E.jpeg

Hi guys, I’ve got an old Coleman metal flask which I like as it’s sturdy and has good capacity.
But mainly because I can’t break it, as I always do with the glass ones.

The problem is there’s a real residue of coffee staining and sludge on it now, inside, that doesn’t give the coffee the best taste.
Now, I know a day or two soaking with diluted bleach would zap it clean, but the problem with that (I’ve found from experience) is I’ll probably be able to taste bleach for the next several trips. :(
I’m not worried about it being harmful in that quantity, but bleached coffee isn’t my first choice of drink!

Any alternative suggestions for a cleaning agent? Baking soda maybe? I’ve never used the stuff but heard it can clean?

Fill it up with boiling water, tip in two heaped teaspoons of Bi-carb and leave overnight. Rinse out in the morning and it will be clean with no smell at all.

With your other issue from elsewhere .............. as you get it in the forearm, to me it sounds a lot like a carpal tunnel issue. Do you get pin and needles in some of your fingers on that hand, especially during the night ?
I had all the same symptoms 15 years ago and had it fixed with a simple op on the wrist (private, cos I was a snob in those days and the company paid for it !).

Fill it up with boiling water, tip in two heaped teaspoons of Bi-carb and leave overnight. Rinse out in the morning and it will be clean with no smell at all.

With your other issue from elsewhere .............. as you get it in the forearm, to me it sounds a lot like a carpal tunnel issue. Do you get pin and needles in some of your fingers on that hand, especially during the night ?
I had all the same symptoms 15 years ago and had it fixed with a simple op on the wrist (private, cos I was a snob in those days and the company paid for it !).
Thanks mate, I’m giving the steradent things a go but will try others if they don’t work.

Cheers, yes I wondered that, it’s possible as I do a lot of typing, or did, but it also the other arm to an extent, and legs, and back, neck and shoulders, lol.
Not always all at the same time!

It could be there’s a couple of things going on, will see what the doc says...

Update!

The steradent definitely worked after a soak of about 36 hours.
Most of it has just dropped off as black flakes (looks like rust) and left a spotless clean flask.
But there’s a couple of patches at the bottom that I can’t shift with a bottle brush, so going to give it another day with fresh tablets.

I’d say a good 95% or more is now pristine, just need to dissolve the last stubborn little bits.

Thanks to @stan m and anyone else who suggested these.
They only cost 99p and I was able to pick them up off the supermarket shelf without an extended search ?

Update!

Most of it has just dropped off as black flakes (looks like rust) and left a spotless clean flask.
But there’s a couple of patches at the bottom that I can’t shift with a bottle brush, so going to give it another day with fresh tablets.

I’d say a good 95% or more is now pristine, just need to dissolve the last stubborn little bits.

They only cost 99p and I was able to pick them up off the supermarket shelf without an extended search ?

Errr, possibly I told you wrong. The Steradent loses its` fizzy after a wee while so rather than soak for 36 hrs (ffs) soak for an hour or two and then add fresh tabs and water. You can also shake the flask etc, you are allowed.

Errr, possibly I told you wrong. The Steradent loses its` fizzy after a wee while so rather than soak for 36 hrs (ffs) soak for an hour or two and then add fresh tabs and water. You can also shake the flask etc, you are allowed.
Ha, well, it was only going to be overnight but I gave it a shake the next day and have only got around to sorting it, there wasn’t any rush ?

How about buying a brand new shiny one, Thermos make a good one in various sizes with s/steel innards. Don't get a glass one.

Update!

Try as many applications as needed to get it totally clean, otherwise any black stuff left will have been loosened and flake off in your coffee for days!

Don’t worry,
Try as many applications as needed to get it totally clean, otherwise any black stuff left will have been loosened and flake off in your coffee for days!
Don’t worry, it will be having a good inspection before it’s used again lol.

Will try and do a pic but not the easiest thing to photograph!

Don’t worry,

Don’t worry, it will be having a good inspection before it’s used again lol.

Will try and do a pic but not the easiest thing to photograph!
Aha! If only you had an Android phone, I could offer the solution! This nearly tempted my wallet out recently, but so far I have resisted! ??

Aha! If only you had an Android phone, I could offer the solution! This nearly tempted my wallet out recently, but so far I have resisted! ??
Haha, I don’t think I need one of those! Whatever it is... ???

Haha, I don’t think I need one of those! Whatever it is... ???
You could use it for checking throat for covid, or seeing what it has been eating in it's stomach.

Back