• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Float fishing

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've not done this in the sea ( yet) and wondering how you can set up a sea cigar style float to fish your bait close to the bottom but not actually on it.

I've not done this in the sea ( yet) and wondering how you can set up a sea cigar style float to fish your bait close to the bottom but not actually on it.
I`ve used them for years in Fuerteventura for bonito. We are fishing into about 35ft of water off rocks and casting to a ledge about 50 yds out where the bonito run. I set the float up to fish at around 15-20ft by putting a stop knot on at that depth. Using a 10ft salmon type spin rod I obviously can`t cast a 15-20ft leader so the float slides up and down. For casting or more accurately lobbing the float sits 4-5ft on the mainline, stopped from dropping further by the swivel connecting the flouro leader. Once out there the float is free to slide up to the stop knot which is fixed at the chosen depths. These stop knots (actual small knot whatsits) slide over the mainline and are tightened down onto it at required depth, (I use two as I`m on mono so prevents slipping). These wee packs of knots are made in Gran Canaria by a mother and daughter team so not sure of available here but theres are many varieties of float stops on fleabay, especially in coarse fishing.

I`ve also used similar in Croatia and Portugal for bluefin / swords and setting the float to allow fishing at anything up to 50 mtrs.

Sounds good but if you are not sure of the depth is there a way to gauge what sort of depth it is so you can set it up to fish close. When we were kids we had a weight close to the hook and if you were set too deep the float would lay flat instead of upright but with these sea floats the weight is close under the float from what I can't make out on you tube and it cocks the float regardless of your depth. I know you can gauge it roughly at low tide but wondered if there was a way to do it if you can't.

Sounds good but if you are not sure of the depth is there a way to gauge what sort of depth it is so you can set it up to fish close. When we were kids we had a weight close to the hook and if you were set too deep the float would lay flat instead of upright but with these sea floats the weight is close under the float from what I can't make out on you tube and it cocks the float regardless of your depth. I know you can gauge it roughly at low tide but wondered if there was a way to do it if you can't.
You need to plumb it. Should be vids on youtube explaining the different ways although maybe not sea angling ones

If you done it in coarse fishing just scale it up. Great advice above but could be confusing putting it all together on a mark. You'll be able to tell a rough depth with a few chucks of a 2oz lead in places your float will be covering, count it down till feel it hit bottom .
Depth you set it in the column dependant on species your after.

A couple of years ago I made some casting floats, beech and ash, on my lathe.

Probably not much use to you but similar to bubble floats filled with water.

My floats act as the weight as well as the float, that way I can cast a bait, clipped up on the mainline, which releases and drops down to about 6' deep. I've cast them on a field and chucked them 75 yards.

I've had a couple of good takes on them with the float shooting across the surface but as yet not actually hooked into anything.

When time allows I'm thinking of adding a small ball weight above the hook to add some resistance and hopefully a hook set.

A bubble float may be your answer.

FFS, glad you were not protecting me and armed, feck` Use the noggin, exact same, heavier weight at hook point (plumbing the depth) and then remember that the tide makes the water go upsadaisy and also go way downasdaisy. The bass are all freakin` safe.

Not if you use a sliding float
Yes, just use a sliding float rig MB. The weight and trace sinks, the float goes up and stops when it hits the float stop on the line, which obviously can be adjusted for depth.
You can buy plastic float stops or many just tie a rubber band around the mainline, though they don’t pass through the rod rings so well.

Self cocking floats are pointless because you will only be fishing as deep as however long your trace is. Unless it’s very shallow water in which case that works. By very shallow I mean 6-8 feet.

Just buy a sliding float kit online. I’d advise about three quarter ounce. Any heavier and the floats get a bit large, any lighter and they can be more susceptible to wind and waves, though obviously depends on the conditions you’re fishing in.
I’d also be inclined to replace the swivel and hook and trace line they come with - really only buy them for the float and weight myself.

Meant to add, you know when it’s on the bottom as the float won’t cock properly, it’ll keep falling over

Obviously as long as you have the correct weight for it

I use a section of shrink wrap and tie the depth you want, also it can be moved up or down to suit. Works for me.

I use this as a stopknot.PS it stretches.Tie a stop knot on your mainline and pull it tight,trim the tag ends,it slides easily through your rings.The stop knot can be adjusted to any depth required.Assemble in this order,determine what hook length you require and tie a small barrel swivel to it,slide a bead onto your mainline below the stopknot,slide whatever size float you want to use onto your mainline followed by appropriate weight,ball, coffin or whatever,finally add a bead to stop weight hitting the swivel knot and damaging the line,tie the mainline to your hooklength swivel and you are good to go.

1659715603478.png
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I use this as a stopknot.PS it stretches.Tie a stop knot on your mainline and pull it tight,trim the tag ends,it slides easily through your rings.The knot can be adjusted to any depth required.Assemble in this order,determine what hook length you require and tie a small barrel swivel to it,slide a bead onto your mainline below the stopknot,slide whatever size float you want to use onto your mainline followed by appropriate weight,ball, coffin or whatever,finally add a bead to stop weight hitting the swivel knot and damaging the line,tie the mainline to your hooklength swivel and you are good to go.

View attachment 30303
Hope this helps.

Good diagram & explanation. I did one slightly different recently. 1oz weight on the bottom of the mainline and 2x 12" snoods & hooks between the weight & the swivel.

I use this as a stopknot.PS it stretches.Tie a stop knot on your mainline and pull it tight,trim the tag ends,it slides easily through your rings.The knot can be adjusted to any depth required.Assemble in this order,determine what hook length you require and tie a small barrel swivel to it,slide a bead onto your mainline below the stopknot,slide whatever size float you want to use onto your mainline followed by appropriate weight,ball, coffin or whatever,finally add a bead to stop weight hitting the swivel knot and damaging the line,tie the mainline to your hooklength swivel and you are good to go.

View attachment 30303
Hope this helps.
Almost exactly what I use in FV, float without a built in weight.

Back