• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Flounder hunt and PB bass.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
@DJDBazzer wants a flounder! It has been a standing joke between us for a few years now, that when we go fishing together, that I often pull out a flounder and especially when we are targeting them, I pretty much always get one. The best time was after getting a PB flounder at Poole fishing with another mate, Bazzer wanted to go there so I went to keep him company and had 2, the best of which was 2.7lb!

We were fishing Southampton Estuary and a particular spot that Bazzer wanted to try. There is a particular feature that I wanted for us to explore more having caught flounder there before.

I met Bazzer there got set up at 9 and it was very quiet. We were casting to the feature and waiting for the ebb to get going. Bazzer had one bite, but nothing doing so we were beating our gums. Well I was! I had just made the comment that its not all PB undulates and red mullet when one of my rods went, this was 11.54. I was fishing with my 10ft Shakespeare flattie rods, with a small 4000 reel, 3 hook flappers and size 4 hooks, baited with rag tipped with squid or straight rag. We both left Bazzers camp to go to mine and it went again. Picked the rod up ready and nothing. Set the rod in the rest and waited a bit more. I find it pays to leave a flounder bite till it goes 3 times or you are sure it is on cause the rod is bent! I picked up the rod and the fish put a nice bend in it. Got to love fishing light! We were only fishing 12ft or so out, so not far to get it on the beach. The first flounder of the day. Bazzer was as excited as me and keen to get back to his rods as soon as the picture was taken. This should be the start of things.
20221204_152402.jpg
20 mins later Bazzer got a small bass and 15 mins after this, when we were away from the rods exploring the revealing beach and features, one of my rods went again. The line was laying on the beach and once I tightened into the fish, realised that, one it was a decent one as it was taking line and 2 that it was heading right towards Bazzers rods. Again the fish is in very close and now thrashing about a bit. Bazzer has gone down to met it and it was pulling line from the little reel. Got it onto the beach and Bazzer stands behind it so it cant get back to the water and unhooks it. Fish weighed in at just under 5lb a PB and picture time!
20221204_153838.jpg
The little hook did a sterling job and just about held the fish.
20221204_153924.jpg
More excited chat and wondering if now have so little water that this is the end of the session. Rod goes again and we can see the fish flapping about on a mud bank, so only in inches of water. I can't get it to move and thinking I have 2 fish, then it goes lighter and starts to come in, but there is still a fish there. Another and bigger and thicker flounder comes in. There we were saying that was it and flounder number 2 comes in.
20221204_154057-jpg.36347

We are deciding to start packing up as we have so little water now, then 7 mins later the rod goes again and I cant tell what it is. Not long to find out as not much water to move it in. The best flounder of the day is on the beach weighing in at just under 2lb. This again was when there was so little water and if the rods were on the tide line the fish would have been under it, literally 3ft out.
20221204_154306.jpg
Another cracking session following the one at Worbarrow with Bazzer and another PB, so that's 3 in 3 weeks. Making plans for another go and will be swapping places as is only fair. Mind you I have spotted another little spot just round a bit to try! A great learning and productive day. All the fish came within 59 minutes going off the photo records. It will be good to try again and have a good local spot where hopefully a couple of hours gives some good fish.

Thanks to Bazzer for the invite and being good company and being my photographer! Your turn next time? Ha, ha.

Attachments

• 20221204_154057.jpg
    20221204_154057.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 192
Great report and photos Goatee! Darn good read!
Some very pretty Flounder (especially the last one) and well done on a lovely PB Bass! 🎣🎣👍👍

@DJDBazzer wants a flounder! It has been a standing joke between us for a few years now, that when we go fishing together, that I often pull out a flounder and especially when we are targeting them, I pretty much always get one. The best time was after getting a PB flounder at Poole fishing with another mate, Bazzer wanted to go there so I went to keep him company and had 2, the best of which was 2.7lb!

We were fishing Southampton Estuary and a particular spot that Bazzer wanted to try. There is a particular feature that I wanted for us to explore more having caught flounder there before.

I met Bazzer there got set up at 9 and it was very quiet. We were casting to the feature and waiting for the ebb to get going. Bazzer had one bite, but nothing doing so we were beating our gums. Well I was! I had just made the comment that its not all PB undulates and red mullet when one of my rods went, this was 11.54. I was fishing with my 10ft Shakespeare flattie rods, with a small 4000 reel, 3 hook flappers and size 4 hooks, baited with rag tipped with squid or straight rag. We both left Bazzers camp to go to mine and it went again. Picked the rod up ready and nothing. Set the rod in the rest and waited a bit more. I find it pays to leave a flounder bite till it goes 3 times or you are sure it is on cause the rod is bent! I picked up the rod and the fish put a nice bend in it. Got to love fishing light! We were only fishing 12ft or so out, so not far to get it on the beach. The first flounder of the day. Bazzer was as excited as me and keen to get back to his rods as soon as the picture was taken. This should be the start of things.
View attachment 36346
20 mins later Bazzer got a small bass and 15 mins after this, when we were away from the rods exploring the revealing beach and features, one of my rods went again. The line was laying on the beach and once I tightened into the fish, realised that, one it was a decent one as it was taking line and 2 that it was heading right towards Bazzers rods. Again the fish is in very close and now thrashing about a bit. Bazzer has gone down to met it and it was pulling line from the little reel. Got it onto the beach and Bazzer stands behind it so it cant get back to the water and unhooks it. Fish weighed in at just under 5lb a PB and picture time!
View attachment 36344
The little hook did a sterling job and just about held the fish.
View attachment 36345
More excited chat and wondering if now have so little water that this is the end of the session. Rod goes again and we can see the fish flapping about on a mud bank, so only in inches of water. I can't get it to move and thinking I have 2 fish, then it goes lighter and starts to come in, but there is still a fish there. Another and bigger and thicker flounder comes in. There we were saying that was it and flounder number 2 comes in.
20221204_154057-jpg.36347

We are deciding to start packing up as we have so little water now, then 7 mins later the rod goes again and I cant tell what it is. Not long to find out as not much water to move it in. The best flounder of the day is on the beach weighing in at just under 2lb. This again was when there was so little water and if the rods were on the tide line the fish would have been under it, literally 3ft out.
View attachment 36348
Another cracking session following the one at Worbarrow with Bazzer and another PB, so that's 3 in 3 weeks. Making plans for another go and will be swapping places as is only fair. Mind you I have spotted another little spot just round a bit to try! A great learning and productive day. All the fish came within 59 minutes going off the photo records. It will be good to try again and have a good local spot where hopefully a couple of hours gives some good fish.

Thanks to Bazzer for the invite and being good company and being my photographer! Your turn next time? Ha, ha.
Cracking report again enjoy these well done🎣🎣

Back