• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Review gerrys

3x Penn Fathom II 15 SD Mags.

That list is getting bigger.;)
The said Reels I purchased from Gerry's are about to be spooled up, thought I would give the Asso Ultra Cast 16lb 0.32 White a go, normally use the Yellow 16lb 0.32. And my usual Asso Tapered leaders in Red. 15-60lb.

Ian.

20231124_184745.jpg

Last edited:
The said Reels I purchased from Gerry's are about to be spooled up, thought I would give the Asso Ultra Cast 16lb 0.32 White a go, normally use the Yellow 16lb 0.32. And my usual Asso Tapered leaders in Red. 15-60lb.

Ian.

View attachment 54549

I usually use Asso mono around 25 - 30Lb on my shore F/S reels, and never see the point in using tapered leaders, as I haven't seen any above 18Lb at the thin end, so that then creates a weak spot at the leader knot. I usually use Asso 60 - 70Lb for a leaser, and a carefully tied double Uni Knot seems to be OK without causing any issues. I was going to give 60Lb braid straight through a try now that I've got a spare reel spool, but haven't spooled it on yet.

Nice spooling station! 👍👍

I usually use Asso mono around 25 - 30Lb on my shore F/S reels, and never see the point in using tapered leaders, as I haven't seen any above 18Lb at the thin end, so that then creates a weak spot at the leader knot. I usually use Asso 60 - 70Lb for a leaser, and a carefully tied double Uni Knot seems to be OK without causing any issues. I was going to give 60Lb braid straight through a try now that I've got a spare reel spool, but haven't spooled it on yet.

Nice spooling station! 👍👍
Been using Tapered Leaders for years Dave, never experienced any problems. (y)

Ian.

I like the Daiwa and Bullet tapered leaders. I've not been a big fan of Asso products since trying their Hardskin mono in white - it was lovely to start with but soon proved to be totally unreliable. Admittedly that was some years ago. I'll be interested to hear how Wingnut gets on with his white Asso mainline...

I find the thick end way too short tbh
The Asso tapered leaders i use are 15m long, but i normally cut a metre off the thick end, two turns of the reel handle and a rod length is good enough for me...

Ian.

I use straight through 60lb mono shock leader, 4 x spool breaking strain off the beach etc.

I use straight through 60lb mono shock leader, 4 x spool breaking strain off the beach etc.
Huge feckin Knot though mate.. ;)

Ian.

Ian.

View attachment 54549
You might have hoovered first!

Back