• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Goodbye Zziplex

My pair of Primo Hi-Flex's have just been delivered, so i am happy. :)

Ian.

If these rods are so good why are they going to stop making them..?
Probably because the company owners want to retire, and won't let the guy running things continue with the name. I could be wrong, but until further info surfaces......

I think its just bloody hard to run a niche business and make money.... vat tax rent silent partner..... wheres that money coming from he would need to be cranking out so many rods. The truth is old zziplex live on, they made them too well.... and did not bring out new rods every few months.
It is a shame.... watch some shonky chogi wobble stick cuntpany grab the brand name.

I would imagine that Barbara owns the zziplex brand name, and so would retire with her. So it would not be able to be used by anyone else, unless she were to sell the brand. So we wont see some Chinese copy's being produced using the brand name, thank god.

Ian.

Probably because the company owners want to retire, and won't let the guy running things continue with the name. I could be wrong, but until further info surfaces......
The founder, Terry Carroll, died a few years ago.
The businesses continued with his wife at the helm after but there were always rumours that she would sell up or shut down.
Lee, the guy who continued to make the rods is, as I am led to believe, a very good rod blank maker and kept things going, but Zziplex was always Terry Carroll.

I cannot speak with any authority, having only met Terry a couple of times, so know little of the current circumstances but I suspect the current economic crisis has put the final nail in the coffin.
That and wishing to preserve the brand in aspic, as it were.

I would imagine that Barbara owns the zziplex brand name, and so would retire with her. So it would not be able to be used by anyone else, unless she were to sell the brand. So we wont see some Chinese copy's being produced using the brand name, thank god.

Ian.
True, unless she gets an offer she can't refuse for her retirement pot. Has been known.

Think about it with out Lee what is Zziplex worth . Maybe Lee doesn't want to carry on
That had crossed my mind too, it must be hard work rolling blanks day after day.

Ian.

It’s about time Harrison’s stepped upto the mark , they have all the conoflex mandrills
Is that so? I'd heard rumours but also another that someone else had bought them but didn't have the flag patterns, prepreg specs or nouse to recreate them. To be fair the raw materials and user requirements have changed a fair bit since they closed.

Well would you believe it, Summerlands none, Gerry's none, and VMO have one zzippy left, Zeteque TXL GT, probably because it's a heavy duty beast, and 99% of anglers wouldn't be able to handle or bend it. ?

I wonder how many have gone to the fleabay merchants who will be asking stupid prices. Feckers.

Ian.

Back