• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Holidays, stupidity, success and failure… adventures ahoy!!

Low tides for me would be Lilstock, relatively easy access and the rock ledges are fairly safe and easy to fish from at low tide. Kilve is similar but a longer walk. The bay between Lilstock and Shurton can be fished 2 hours up and 1 down except on big springs, Shurton bars can be fished 2 hours before low and 2 hours up from the reef then up and over high from the beach, it's a great place to take the kids too.

There are plenty of options in the area from porlock and bossington all the way up to Hinckley and Shurton reefs. Watchet harbour wall throws up some good fish around high tide while the family look round the town.

Low tides for me would be Lilstock, relatively easy access and the rock ledges are fairly safe and easy to fish from at low tide. Kilve is similar but a longer walk. The bay between Lilstock and Shurton can be fished 2 hours up and 1 down except on big springs, Shurton bars can be fished 2 hours before low and 2 hours up from the reef then up and over high from the beach, it's a great place to take the kids too.
Agree with all that Timmy except how is Kilve a long walk? You park at the bottom, walk across the field and the reef is in front of you?

Whereas Lilstock, yes it’s relatively easy access but a fair walk left over pebbles and rocks to get to the main low water reefs. Prior to that it’s rather broken reef, though I have seen one or two fish there.

Agree with all that Timmy except how is Kilve a long walk? You park at the bottom, walk across the field and the reef is in front of you?

Whereas Lilstock, yes it’s relatively easy access but a fair walk left over pebbles and rocks to get to the main low water reefs. Prior to that it’s rather broken reef, though I have seen one or two fish there.
Where I fish at Kilve it's further over the reef. There is also paying for the car park which I begrudge, Lilstock and Shurton are free, When I fish Lilstock reef I walk to the stile, down the big rocks and head straight for the first fish pool, it's easy from there.
Shurton is probably my favourite though whether low tide or high.

What could you get better than this for a day of fishing and kids playing? This is low tide obviously.
20210922_141830-jpg.31000
20210922_141830.jpg

Where I fish at Kilve it's further over the reef. There is also paying for the car park which I begrudge, Lilstock and Shurton are free, When I fish Lilstock reef I walk to the stile, down the big rocks and head straight for the first fish pool, it's easy from there.
Shurton is probably my favourite though whether low tide or high.
I’ve only done Kilve a couple of times and fished around the pipe as directed, which is more or less straight out.
I won’t post directions online in case it’s your hotspot but I’d guess then you must walk further laterally.

Agree with the car parking though. I didn’t mind paying £2-3 but I see now it’s ANPR and some rather weird restrictive times that would make an after dark session awkward.

I like Shurton too, especially the beach, but it’s a fair trek for me plus no way of knowing how many are down there until you get there.

Was tempted to cover my plate if fishing Kilve after dark in the winter but I guess on the slim chance plod might notice, it could drop you in a lot of trouble.

Have heard a lot of stories about people being done for parking there though, even when they haven’t actually done anything wrong.

Was tempted to cover my plate if fishing Kilve after dark in the winter but I guess on the slim chance plod might notice, it could drop you in a lot of trouble.

Have heard a lot of stories about people being done for parking there though, even when they haven’t actually done anything wrong.
I haven't been to Kilve for a while because of that. If I'm doing Shurton I make a day of it and take my youngest son, he's a willing donkey as long as I feed him steak and beer when we get home. :ROFLMAO:

A fiver for 12 hours ain’t bad in the grand scheme of things. Wish it was that price at other venues I fish.

A fiver for 12 hours ain’t bad in the grand scheme of things. Wish it was that price at other venues I fish.
What, Kilve? Yes not too fussed about a few quid, it’s the dodgy cameras.
Lots of online reviews where people have literally done nothing wrong and been fined.
I don’t have much sympathy for the ‘I was only there 20 minutes’ or ‘I got my number plate wrong’ brigade but that car park seems particularly bad.

Also some very odd evening times. Free early evening (which sounds good) but then starts again at 10, or something like that. So awkward to buy a ticket to cover a night session.
I’ll have to look it up again, but the times were very odd…

Last edited:
What, Kilve? Yes not too fussed about a few quid, it’s the dodgy cameras.
Lots of online reviews where people have literally done nothing wrong and been fined.
I don’t have much sympathy for the ‘I was only there 20 minutes’ or ‘I got my number plate wrong’ brigade but that car park seems particularly bad.

Also some very odd evening times. Free early evening (which sounds good) but then starts again at 10, or something like that. So awkward to buy a ticket to cover a night session.
I’ll have to look it up again, but the times were very odd…
The reviews are shocking

And does anyone know if you can arrive before 10pm but pay £5 or whatever to cover your whole trip?

I’ve probably been lucky fished it about 6 or 7 times during the summer and spring and never had a ticket. They seem to contradict themselves on different sites re the charges of an evening aswell.

That’s what I go by and signage there states free from 6 till 10.

Attachments

• 15CB5B55-6E6C-4C79-A918-9340A655FF49.jpeg
    15CB5B55-6E6C-4C79-A918-9340A655FF49.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 4
Anyway sorry @Stormtrooper its gone a bit off topic ?
Not at all, we went to Kilve hunting fossils so I know exactly where you’re talking about… the only ticket machine is at the entrance to the car park but you park like 1/2mile away from it!! ?
We found a few nice fossils there, including one great big one that my son insisted we keep and made me carry it to the car, I weighed it when we got home… 78.5lbs!!
It was 30°c…. I nearly died!! ?image.jpg

Back