• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Its been a while....

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Friday evening and I am stood in the kitchen contemplating if I should go fishing the following morning.
This contemplation took place the previous 3 evenings and each time the following morning arrived, I found my mojo tank to be empty and the desire to fish was not forthcoming.
I needed motivation, something that would make me commit to going.
I messaged my fishing buddy Darren. If Darren wanted to fish, I would fish.
Darren said no :(
Darren still had a roof to get fiberglassed :(
I offered to give him a hand fiberglassing, but in return, he had to come fishing for a few hours!
The deal worked.

5.45am Saturday morning and I am stood on the beach. Not a soul about. Not a breath of wind. Every thing baring the sae is totally still. The sea is the only sound. A ground swell the cause of the disturbance.
5.50am and Darren joins me on the beach blagging a pack of bluey as he walks past.
5.55am baits hit the sea bed. Will the rays be on the feed?

Oh yes, 6am and ray number one hits the shingle. First blood to me.
Five minutes later and Darren is into a ray, all be it a little 'may wing'.
The next hour sees Darren land two more rays and loose another.
I land...........

..........a bloody sea rat :(

The tide has now made its way off the shingle and onto the mud flats and the pair of us know the fishing will be difficult but its such a lovely morning we fish on till our time on the beach runs out and we really must go and get Darren's roof fiberglassed!
Given the start we had, I am pretty sure had we fished the flooding tide back in, our tally of rays would have increased significantly.IMG_20211023_064447.jpgIMG_20211023_064616.jpgIMG_20211023_065550.jpgIMG_20211023_074457.jpgIMG_20211023_075334.jpg

Last edited:
Nice report Shirls - glad you found the MoJo for a dangle, and hope you both got the roof finished! ??

You definitely worked at getting a sesh in with your mate - Jeez - Fair play and result on the target. Do you only fish one rod? Just looking at your rest.

You definitely worked at getting a sesh in with your mate - Jeez - Fair play and result on the target. Do you only fish one rod? Just looking at your rest.
Thats Darren's set up and him casting.
I was on 2 rods.
Darren just grabbed whatever gear was closest in the tackle store. To be honest, I'm surprised he managed to pick up the right sections of rod!

Darren and a nicely marked rayIMG_20211023_065755.jpg

Thats Darren's set up and him casting.
I was on 2 rods.
Darren just grabbed whatever gear was closest in the tackle store. To be honest, I'm surprised he managed to pick up the right sections of rod!
Never seen any one cast like that.

Nice one. In the absence of the bearded one's you've still got to give it a go for what's there.

I like to cast reel down. I find the cast easier to control and “slower” cracking report mate, well done on the rays. I’m on the other side of the bay to you, yet I’m yet to pick up a ray this year. Hopefully won’t be long until we see some cod reports from you! ??

Good effort!

I would have lied after the session though and pretended you had an unexpected doctors appointment ?

Back