• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Its been a while....

Friday evening and I am stood in the kitchen contemplating if I should go fishing the following morning.
This contemplation took place the previous 3 evenings and each time the following morning arrived, I found my mojo tank to be empty and the desire to fish was not forthcoming.
I needed motivation, something that would make me commit to going.
I messaged my fishing buddy Darren. If Darren wanted to fish, I would fish.
Darren said no :(
Darren still had a roof to get fiberglassed :(
I offered to give him a hand fiberglassing, but in return, he had to come fishing for a few hours!
The deal worked.

5.45am Saturday morning and I am stood on the beach. Not a soul about. Not a breath of wind. Every thing baring the sae is totally still. The sea is the only sound. A ground swell the cause of the disturbance.
5.50am and Darren joins me on the beach blagging a pack of bluey as he walks past.
5.55am baits hit the sea bed. Will the rays be on the feed?

Oh yes, 6am and ray number one hits the shingle. First blood to me.
Five minutes later and Darren is into a ray, all be it a little 'may wing'.
The next hour sees Darren land two more rays and loose another.
I land...........

..........a bloody sea rat :(

The tide has now made its way off the shingle and onto the mud flats and the pair of us know the fishing will be difficult but its such a lovely morning we fish on till our time on the beach runs out and we really must go and get Darren's roof fiberglassed!
Given the start we had, I am pretty sure had we fished the flooding tide back in, our tally of rays would have increased significantly.View attachment 16958View attachment 16959View attachment 16960View attachment 16961View attachment 16962
Great report Shirl and good pics as ever. Well done on the catch ?

Nicely nicely, well done Shirl…. See, it’s not ALL about cod!!

Great report as always Shirl, Nice to see Darren out with you again. What range do you usually get them? See Darren powering out the pendulum well.
Personally I've never had much luck inside of 100yds but maybe that's because my distance rod usually produces first, so the closest one gets put out further as well.
Saturday morning Darren was landing a bait at about 150yds (1st beach session in a year or more and a bit rusty!)
I was fishing at about 120 at the most.
Where we were fishing it's more about getting a bait into the gully(s) than out and out distance.
As ever, cast to the features and a better catch rate is on the cards.

Back