• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West It’s not always silver bars and rainbows

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
The tail end of the bass season continues and @Christurner and I went back to the local surf beach where I had a good bassing session a couple of weeks ago.

No one there, the surf looked pretty good and there was a bit of weed in the water but it didn’t really hamper the fishing.
Wind was NW which usually makes this beach even better.

Well. It was bloody slow, no bites at all for ages. Last time I went, I was getting bites steadily throughout the evening.

Baits were mostly half a bluey, some big squid baits and I also tried a couple of herring.
This is how I mount a half bluey on 6/0 pennells by the way…

0DAEF003-5B2E-40B5-B5AC-F28B2BDE16D1.jpeg

I thought I may or may not have had a bite, it didn’t do much, but when I brought it in I had a dogfish double shot, with one on each hook of the pennell ?
Was going to get a picture of that but one dropped off at the surf line so I unhooked the other quickly and got them both back.

Then it went completely dead again. Chris had a dog towards the end but I didn’t have any more bites.

What I did manage to do towards the end was drop both rods pretty much on top of each other.
When I brought one in, sure enough it brought the other in.
Usually this isn’t too much of a mess but this one was the worst I’ve ever seen.
One trace was weaved in with the other shock leader, both traces were tangled together and the main line from the slack rod was mixed in with all of it.

Given half hour and no surf swirling about and I could have unpicked it, but the tide was pushing us back quickly and I didn’t have half hour so out came the scissors.
Not my preferred method but sometimes there’s no choice.
I managed to unclip one trace, cut away the mainline and leader from the mess and put the whole offending tangle in a carrier bag to sort later.

This was it at home.

15101A66-1B5A-4A14-A85A-C18AE9A54F25.jpeg
There’s two leads and traces in that lot.

Thank feck for a spare rebaited trace as at least I could get one rod out again, the other was packed up.

We carried on for another half hour but despite that being the best time and the conditions looking so good, we didn’t get a single bite.

That is usually a banker bass mark for me, I don’t blank on bass there very often, but some occasional nights things just look perfect yet the fish aren’t playing.
This was one of those nights!

Not a very thrilling report but thought it might be useful to show it’s not all silver bars and rainbows…

Great write up @Mr Fish and although it was good to be out, a little disappointing the bass didn't play ball. I'm starting to think I'm a bad luck charm as that's two in a row where target species have evaded us! Though for the record, I had two doggies ?

Where's rock marks when you need him? He always seems to get a pb when we fish together ???.

Great write up @Mr Fish and although it was good to be out, a little disappointing the bass didn't play ball. I'm starting to think I'm a bad luck charm as that's two in a row where target species have evaded us! Though for the record, I had two doggies ?

Where's rock marks when you need him? He always seems to get a pb when we fish together ???.
You’re my Jonah I think, lol.

Ah, two, sorry my bad. In all the excitement over the first one (?) I forgot the second one…

That’s a messy tangle oh dear , I had one at beesands a few weeks ago a strap on one line went over the other , I had to cut one main line and tie it together to get it in , I had to buy new braid for that reel

Unlucky on the dogs Fish ?

Sounds just like my morning tbh!

Rubbish fishing, and managed to snap brand new line on a new reel 2nd test cast after leaving some loose line on it from first test cast, as I was worried lead was dropping into the Minehead boulders ?

Crock way to start your session ☹️

Bet you were nice and relaxed after you sorted that mess out - not!
It’s still sat in the shed! There wasn’t time on the beach.

It’ll be a scissors job anyway, but peed off as only put that line on the reel two weeks ago ?

My own fault I guess, although could have sworn I cast it in the opposite direction to the other rod, but obviously not, unless the swell moved it. Strong surf last night.

Great write up as usual Mr Fish. Personally I wouldn't complain about a doggy as I've never caught one.! Unicorns are a more realistic proposition in the Firth of Forth.

Back