• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Just a heads up...

Trampster

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Fishing Tackle (of sorts!) on sale in Lidl again from this Sunday. Not a lot of interest, but the cheapy reels don't look bad for the money.
I know a few on here have bought some before.

Fishing Tackle (of sorts!) on sale in Lidl again from this Sunday. Not a lot of interest, but the cheapy reels don't look bad for the money.
I know a few on here have bought some before.

If they’re like previous reels from there, they aren’t bad for the money and fairly solidly made.

I use mine for estuary or float fishing and can easily get a couple of years out of them, more, depending on how often they’re used.

Probably won’t get any this time as I’ve still got three brand new spares in boxes 😂

If they’re like previous reels from there, they aren’t bad for the money and fairly solidly made.

I use mine for estuary or float fishing and can easily get a couple of years out of them, more, depending on how often they’re used.

Probably won’t get any this time as I’ve still got three brand new spares in boxes 😂
I bought one last time, put it away 'just in case' and haven't seen it since! Must admit to being a bit tempted by the 5000 Baitrunner!

I bought one last time, put it away 'just in case' and haven't seen it since! Must admit to being a bit tempted by the 5000 Baitrunner!
Yes for £13 or whatever they’re not bad little reels.

I’ve used them for feathering and all sorts. Eventually they start to die but I’ve found most fixed spools I own are essentially disposable commodities and I’m not spending a fortune on a Shimano so it can get cacked up with estuary mud 😂

(y) for the heads-up. Unfortunately I'm working Sunday: hoping the fishing accessories I've put on a list are still available Monday morning !

Yes for £13 or whatever they’re not bad little reels.

I’ve used them for feathering and all sorts. Eventually they start to die but I’ve found most fixed spools I own are essentially disposable commodities and I’m not spending a fortune on a Shimano so it can get cacked up with estuary mud 😂
Just borrow them

They’re good, just don’t submerge them in muddy estuary water.

It tends to muck them up.

I decided to take time to visit Lidl before work - bag, rod rest, net (much better quality than I'd expected), some line, hooks & lures secured. I also looked over the reels and collapsible "high modulus fibre-glass" rod sets: for the money I'm thinking might be worth getting one of the rod sets to just leave in the car-boot (a 270-5 set maybe) for unexpected opportunities or as a backup when something happens to main gear. Worth a punt or simply best to avoid at any cost ?? (In passing; what does this blurb mean anyone please ... "S-stroked system for perfectly tuned line lay, micro adjustable rear drag with non-slip rotary dial & multi-brake pully system" .. ?)

I decided to take time to visit Lidl before work - bag, rod rest, net (much better quality than I'd expected), some line, hooks & lures secured. I also looked over the reels and collapsible "high modulus fibre-glass" rod sets: for the money I'm thinking might be worth getting one of the rod sets to just leave in the car-boot (a 270-5 set maybe) for unexpected opportunities or as a backup when something happens to main gear. Worth a punt or simply best to avoid at any cost ?? (In passing; what does this blurb mean anyone please ... "S-stroked system for perfectly tuned line lay, micro adjustable rear drag with non-slip rotary dial & multi-brake pully system" .. ?)
Ooh are they doing nets again?

I didn't know they were doing nets either.
In a moment of Tackle Tartness, I bought a new extending landing net handle, and now can't find the net! 🤔🤔

I have noted that freshwater anglers seem more inclined to use nets*, but is it not better to net-in any fish (for careful handling) that one doesn’t want or might not be permitted to keep due to species, size etc ? (*Is that because freshwater anglers more likely to be returning their catches ?)

I have noted that freshwater anglers seem more inclined to use nets*, but is it not better to net-in any fish (for careful handling) that one doesn’t want or might not be permitted to keep due to species, size etc ? (*Is that because freshwater anglers more likely to be returning their catches ?)
Fresh water anglers are usually fishing from a bank close to the water.
If sea fishing from rocks, it is sometimes a long way from where you are standing to the water, so a net is not always practical.
I have heard of guys falling in trying to overeach with a net.
That's probably why I can't find my net - I haven't used it for years!

Fresh water anglers are usually fishing from a bank close to the water.
If sea fishing from rocks, it is sometimes a long way from where you are standing to the water, so a net is not always practical.
I have heard of guys falling in trying to overeach with a net.
That's probably why I can't find my net - I haven't used it for years!
That all makes sense, thank you Trampster.
Like so many other sea fishers though (who don't use landing nets), it's not all about losing a fish betwixt water and land/boat (c'est la vie - possibly more frequent than some as I will largely be using barbless hooks, unless I'm very hungry).
I am personally more inclined to use a "rubber" net for that very final "dangling in front of my nose Got-Ya" moment before deciding on type of handling for cull or return.
[The Lidl "Rocktrail" rubberised landing net is really capacious, specified to 3kg fish weight & with extendable handle should anyone else feel the need @ £13. I like the Lidl tackle bag also, BUT a few plastic trays' with adjustable compartments for width rather than just length would have been a big plus.]

Last edited:
Oh and - the Lidl tripod rod-rest @ £13 is definitely a steal !

Attachments

• Lidl RT rod rest.jpg
    Lidl RT rod rest.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back