• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Just a heads up...

Oh and - the Lidl tripod rod-rest @ £13 is definitely a steal !
I prefer a tripod with pots at the bottom of one leg to keep rod ends out of sand.
But that tripod would be great for hard surface.

Oh and - the Lidl tripod rod-rest @ £13 is definitely a steal !

Looks like they have done some good improvements on that. I bought one of the early versions some years ago.
You had to twist the legs anti-clockwise to extend them, pull them out to the required height, and twist them clockwise to lock them, but they didn't lock and the darn thing used to collapse. Used it once and it's sat in the cupboard since.

Looks like they have done some good improvements on that. I bought one of the early versions some years ago.
You had to twist the legs anti-clockwise to extend them, pull them out to the required height, and twist them clockwise to lock them, but they didn't lock and the darn thing used to collapse. Used it once and it's sat in the cupboard since.
That had me going off to check the new rod-rest clip-style leg locks. Pleased to say they seem pretty solid: how long they will stay like that is, of course, another matter

Haven't seen any of those, but I can imagine that would be great on a 2-rod rest.
Google Shakespeare Salt. Nearly all decent Tripods have got cups for the Rod butts.
I've got a Salt, a bit heavy but sturdy. Just put an extra cup & 'Y' fork on mine so that it holds 3 rods. Somewhere to keep my spinning rod off the sand/shingle whilst bait fishing with 2 rods.

Google Shakespeare Salt. Nearly all decent Tripods have got cups for the Rod butts.
I've got a Salt, a bit heavy but sturdy. Just put an extra cup & 'Y' fork on mine so that it holds 3 rods. Somewhere to keep my spinning rod off the sand/shingle whilst bait fishing with 2 rods.
I have some large plastic picnic plates that are still in their wrappers - so maybe I'll un-wrap & take them with me on beach fishing trips ! :)

Last edited:
And there was I thinking you were a non-landing-netter. (Yes, that spelling is correct.) But why 2x ?
Because they’re good nets and they don’t always have them every year or indeed the stocks run out quick, especially in a coastal area.

I used them for wrasse fishing, lighter bass fishing over rocks and they get a lot of use when hunting for spider peelers, so they see plenty of abuse and corrosion…

And plus going to Norway on Monday and we have two boats so if I can swing it with the weight/space limit they’ll be good for netting plaice

Because they’re good nets and they don’t always have them every year or indeed the stocks run out quick, especially in a coastal area.
(?)
I used them for wrasse fishing, lighter bass fishing over rocks and they get a lot of use when hunting for spider peelers, so they see plenty of abuse and corrosion…

And plus going to Norway on Monday and we have two boats so if I can swing it with the weight/space limit they’ll be good for netting plaice
Aaah - maybe, for the price, I might make a 2nd visit ! BUT you are "having me on" re spiders aren't you !?

Last edited:
The reels look not too bad either and a 3 year guarantee, can't go wrong for cheap light spinning

Btw the last pic wasn’t the matched shell to that crab but someone had messaged me to ask what a ‘popper’ looked like so I plonked a shell on its back to give an idea

I got a 2000 size reel there yesterday. Comes with a spare spool. I checked it carefully at home, and it's really surprisingly good. No cheap manufacturing evidence even though it was £12.99. it is for back up lure/ lrf fishing. And operates really smoothly, the bale arm is nice and smooth, not clunky and I can't find any fault with it. It's cheap enough to bin if it plays up so what's not to like unless you're a tackle fascist that spends £400 on a spinning reel.
They had nets and combi starter sets, and a nice tackle bag in store too. PXL_20240612_212029113.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg

I went into Lidl yesterday - didn't see a single item of fishing tackle, so guess they must have sold out.
One of those 5000 bait runner reels might have fallen in the trolley if I'd seen one.
On the flip side, I also went to Aldi, who haven't advertised any fishing gear, and picked up a quality half price bait tub for 99P.

I went into Lidl yesterday - didn't see a single item of fishing tackle, so guess they must have sold out.
One of those 5000 bait runner reels might have fallen in the trolley if I'd seen one.
On the flip side, I also went to Aldi, who haven't advertised any fishing gear, and picked up a quality half price bait tub for 99P.
I hate to say it, but fishy Devonians might be proving savvier than their Kernow neighbours; still quite a bit of stuff available on the shelves this side of the river.

Back