• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ling from the shore

Skaterboy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've had quite a few ling from a few marks around Scotland and I'm wondering if there are any places in the rest of the UK where ling can be caught from the shore. I've often thought there must be some marks maybe in the SW or around the Welsh coast that are deep and rocky enough for ling but I don't recall seeing any reports. I'd be interested to hear if there's anywhere you might reasonably expect to catch one.
9599008945_1f782ed838_o_2.jpg

There are a couple of deep water rock marks here in North Devon where they’ve shown up, usually sub 5lb fish.
But it is very very rare and I’ve never had one.
It’s not something you can really target but very occasionally a local angler will pick one up while fishing for eels, huss, whatever.

Even on the boats they don’t really show up here.

My vague theory is that perhaps they occasionally come in from deeper water after a storm to feed up.

Thanks for that info Mr Fish. We used to catch a lot of ling on the Whitby boats, often just a mile or two offshore, but I don't think the local shore marks were deep enough to make them reachable from the shore.

Are club shore pb is around 18 lb caught in Ireland that will take some beating I know of one that come off blue anchor wall a few years back estimated to be around the 12 lb mark but the guy who caught it was a bit of a. Novice at the time and threw it back thinking it was a conger whould have been a bc record ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️id Imagine the purbecs chould throw them up but never herd of one there personally

I’d love to catch one here from the shore but it really is a completely random lottery.
I’ve seen one caught and reliably know of a couple of others.

I don’t think it’s really a viable target but if I spend enough years throwing out big fish baits at the right marks, one might show up eventually!

It would be a real fluke fish for here, that’s for sure.

Occasional small one caught by people after congers and overgrown dogfish! I think one of the faisey boys caught one?

Yes, I've had a couple on deep spun baited lures meant for pollack. They seem to be quite willing to chase a moving bait.
Nice catches...what sort of depths were you roughly fishing for the majority of your ling...on bottom baits I mean ?

A few deep marks off the N.W. side of Lismore where a 25yd lob puts you into 250 plus ft. They have been taken there as well as blackmouth dogs. No skate as it`s rocky. Hake also been taken from the same marks.
Those deep water marks have always been good for a ling. I've had a few down the Sound of Mull around Lochaline.

Back