• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Ling from the shore

Thanks for that info Mr Fish. We used to catch a lot of ling on the Whitby boats, often just a mile or two offshore, but I don't think the local shore marks were deep enough to make them reachable from the shore.
Plenty have been caught by recreational boat anglers off Cornwall this year - 30Lb was the biggest I saw, but never heard of one caught from the shore down here. I think most of you will know who this is!

1640745077611.png

There are plenty about, but they usually remain in very deep water around wrecks & such structures. Interesting to note that the British record is just over 67Lb!

Last edited:
When I was distributing fillets of boat caught cod and ling to family and friends, everyone seemed to want the ling.
Agree - anybody who has eaten Ling says it tastes better than Cod. Same family of Fish though.

Hi Peter my son Craig had one at 12lb on the north east of Scotland a couple of years back in fairly shallow water
Bert(old yin)
Hi Bert. Good to see you're staying fit and healthy. That was a good ling for Craig. There seems to be plenty around on the likely bits of the Scottish coast. Did you manage to get your skate trip organised before the winter set in?

Hi Bert. Good to see you're staying fit and healthy. That was a good ling for Craig. There seems to be plenty around on the likely bits of the Scottish coast. Did you manage to get your skate trip organised before the winter set in?
No did manage Peter when we were due to go the skipper was having engine troubles so he called it off been up the east coast of Scotland a few times in the last month looking for the cod unfortunately things are not that great on the east coast this year. Most people are having a hard time of it on the cod fishing but to be honest Peter it has been slowly downhill for the past few years, I don’t think it will go to the same state as the Clyde went but it is certainly down on last winter. Hope you and your family are well.
Bert(old yin)

No did manage Peter when we were due to go the skipper was having engine troubles so he called it off been up the east coast of Scotland a few times in the last month looking for the cod unfortunately things are not that great on the east coast this year. Most people are having a hard time of it on the cod fishing but to be honest Peter it has been slowly downhill for the past few years, I don’t think it will go to the same state as the Clyde went but it is certainly down on last winter. Hope you and your family are well.
Bert(old yin)
Shame about the skate trip Bert. We're both very well thanks and managing to keep away from people as much as possible. I haven't been cod fishing for quite a few years now. The rewards didn't justify the effort involved any more and I'm getting too old for long sessions on cold winters nights. I'm happy enough with a few trips up west every year for a few quality fish though even that has been more difficult in the last couple of years. Hope you find a few decent cod before the end of the season.

There has been the odd one caught from the craster/dunstanburgh castle areas in here in northumberland, nothing of any size and the last one i heard of must of been over 10 yers ago

I've had a couple in shallowish water approx 25-30ft drifting down near Torness. Wasn't far offshore, I'm pretty sure a good caster could have got out to us, they weren't big though roughly 4lb.

There has been the odd one caught from the craster/dunstanburgh castle areas in here in northumberland, nothing of any size and the last one i heard of must of been over 10 yers ago
The North Northumberland and Borders areas where the water gets a bit deeper and clearer are probably the nearest areas to me that might produce a ling. I think I've heard of a couple around St Abbs many years ago but for a realistic chance from the shore I think you need to go a lot further North.

Back