• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Lower stretch mono?

Tomthewelshie

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Are there any decent low stretch monos out there that you would recommend? Looking for something 20-22lb for mixed ground codling, rays etc on my airpower.

I do like Gardner gt hd for low stretch but I’d much prefer it in an orange or red. So I can see it.

Was considering braid at one point something like 60/65lb straight but think the tides here in south wales might cause the lead to trip out too much.

Thanks

Last edited:
I do have a spool of 33lb braid here, I might have to try that first with a shock leader and see how I get on. Only issue is I seam to catch less when trying braid with bait for some reason

I do have a spool of 33lb braid here, I might have to try that first with a shock leader and see how I get on. Only issue is I seam to catch less when trying braid with bait for some reason
Make sure to use a braid leader.

I personally find braid TOO reactive for shore fishing, it just irritates me.

Assume you can still get it, but the Daiwa Sensor mono wasn’t particularly stretchy but was nonetheless a decent hard wearing line.
Not especially thin in diameter but imo that’s all to the good unless distance over clean ground is paramount, as it offered better abrasion resistance.

I’m not particularly keen on the trend for ultra thin lines these days - bought some 30lb mono for wrassing and it was the thickness of 18/20lb as was.
It was certainly strong enough but didn’t do well resisting abrasion from rocks and kelp, which was why I wanted a thicker line in the first place!

But obviously it all depends where you fish and what your preferences are

I personally find braid TOO reactive for shore fishing, it just irritates me.

Assume you can still get it, but the Daiwa Sensor mono wasn’t particularly stretchy but was nonetheless a decent hard wearing line.
Not especially thin in diameter but imo that’s all to the good unless distance over clean ground is paramount, as it offered better abrasion resistance.

I’m not particularly keen on the trend for ultra thin lines these days - bought some 30lb mono for wrassing and it was the thickness of 18/20lb as was.
It was certainly strong enough but didn’t do well resisting abrasion from rocks and kelp, which was why I wanted a thicker line in the first place!

But obviously it all depends where you fish and what your preferences are

Im planning to use it over mixed ground over the winter for codling etc.

Loved daiwa sensor for my carp fishing

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with Mr Fish in finding braid a bit too reactive for my winter codling (unicorn) fishing. Also found it a nightmare with the weedy grass trash that litters our bit of sea in the winter. I stick to .35mm Suffix. It has less stretch than Sensor

Last edited:
Nearly got caught🤔 there's an online store allegedly based in the USA called Daiwa store.com , they're selling 7ht's for $89(£71 ish) looked legit,had the little padlock icon n everything,just didn't feel right checked up and they appear to be dodgy,I suppose if it seems too good to be true🙄
Agree, and I've found the postage from the USA can be horrendous, plus you might get collared for Import duty.

I have been using Daiwa Sensor Mono for years and never had a problem.

Berkeley Trilene Big Game.

The only monofilament you’ll ever need.

Don’t believe me, read all of the reviews. 😊
Yes it's very good if a bit thicker for a given bs. I use it where I need a bit more abrasion resistance. They do a good neon green colour ("solar"?)

I'm in agreement with Mr Fish in finding braid a bit too reactive for my winter codling (unicorn) fishing. Also found it a nightmare with the weedy grass trash that litters our bit of sea in the winter. I stick to .35mm Suffix. It has less stretch than Sensor
I once used it in light surf on a multi - my mistake, grabbed the reels quickly and forgot one still had braid on from a recent boat trip.

It cast okay but by the end of the night I was ready to cut the whole lot off or throw the reel in the sea - the constant nodding, twitching and tapping was doing my swede in.
I don’t need a three inch pouting bite to register like a 3lb bass.
Have spent most of my life getting used to different fish bites and effects on the rod tip with mono so I generally have a good idea of the rough size and type of fish, but braid throws all that out the window and didn’t appreciate the experience at all.

Anyway, back to the original question. I never get too precious about the line I buy. Mostly I aim at cost rather than top end stuff and as said, ultra thin isn’t what I want.
Which isn’t to say I’ll buy the cheapest going, but I’m always willing to take a punt on more reasonably priced lines.
If I don’t like them I won’t use them again.

I found the Rovex 10 stuff good, or did, still using up a couple of bulk spools so not bought any for years.
It is ironically thinner than some and rather stretchy, I only use it on clean ground, but it is pretty strong in my experience.

Yes it's very good if a bit thicker for a given bs. I use it where I need a bit more abrasion resistance. They do a good neon green colour ("solar"?)
I prefer clear or green.

Back