• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

My two old rods

Mesmo

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As suspected they are Continental Rods

first one is a Sonik SK Continental 4-6oz 4.88M

the other is an Abu Garcia Hellbender Surf 3.5 - 7 oz 5M

I could have sworn I had a matched pair but hey ho my memory is going AWOL the older I get

I can’t say I know much about them and definitely can’t remember how they performed

From our more knowledgeable members … are these any good?

If the eyes are still good give it a bash.

Ifvthe eyes qre dtill good give it a bash.
Lol you still have a hangover? I certainly will though as these two are the only 2 rods I have…. I gave a lot of kit away a few years back to my son for him and my grandsons

Same for the sonik, give it a whirl.

Hangover?
Your initial post before correction ‘ Ifvthe eyes qre dtill good give it a bash.’

I think you may have misunderstood …. I already have these rods ….. just haven’t used them much in the last 10 years …… they look as new though I am pleased to say

Your initial post before correction ‘ Ifvthe eyes qre dtill good give it a bash.’

I think you may have misunderstood …. I already have these rods ….. just haven’t used them much in the last 10 years …… they look as new though I am pleased to say
Lol, aye, tablet keyboard and not very accurate fingers. I mostly don't check before hitting "post", then tend to edit.

I googled the reviews to see what was said about them when they were new. They both seem to be up to the job.

Both look like good rods Mesmo! Should do you well. 🎣🎣👍👍

These 2 rods will do great on the beaches but should I venture to an alternative venue where the fishing is different or there is a lack of space …. What other rod should I have in my armoury?

These 2 rods will do great on the beaches but should I venture to an alternative venue where the fishing is different or there is a lack of space …. What other rod should I have in my armoury?
Do you mean if you fish rocks or a pier, for example?

Yes …. Having 2 x 5m rods isn’t always practicable
Not on those sort of marks no and you wouldn’t really want to use contis in rough ground.

Really imo for rough stuff you want a ‘traditional’ 12-14 foot beachcaster with a bit of backbone to it so you can bully fish and tackle out of snags, or at least give yourself a fighting chance.
Which doesn’t mean it has to be a broomstick, just something with a bit of oomph to it.
I’m not really up on the current market but my go tos are usually a Century Carbon Metal Mk1 or a beefy 13ft 8 Abu that nonetheless has good bite detection, both quite old now.

I don’t do piers, too many bloody people, but if I did, any standard beachcaster would do as long as it could lift fish up, or even bass or carp rods depending on the tide and lead you need.
You could use contis on one, as long as they can swing sub 3lb fish up and there’s room, but basically on a pier you can use almost anything, conditions permitting.
With a dropnet a must in case you get a good fish.

Not on those sort of marks no and you wouldn’t really want to use contis in rough ground.

Really imo for rough stuff you want a ‘traditional’ 12-14 foot beachcaster with a bit of backbone to it so you can bully fish and tackle out of snags, or at least give yourself a fighting chance.
Which doesn’t mean it has to be a broomstick, just something with a bit of oomph to it.
I’m not really up on the current market but my go tos are usually a Century Carbon Metal Mk1 or a beefy 13ft 8 Abu that nonetheless has good bite detection, both quite old now.

I don’t do piers, too many bloody people, but if I did, any standard beachcaster would do as long as it could lift fish up, or even bass or carp rods depending on the tide and lead you need.
You could use contis on one, as long as they can swing sub 3lb fish up and there’s room, but basically on a pier you can use almost anything, conditions permitting.
With a dropnet a must in case you get a good fish.
Cheers Mr Fish 👍 I guess I am probably in need of a more “General Purpose” rod probably in the 10’ to 12’ range

I've collected a fair amount of Rods over the years, but only 4 really get used for sea fishing. 2x 15ft Conti rods, a 10ft Bass rod (to 150gms casting) and the latest - a 9ft Abu Tormentor 20 - 60gm spinning rod. Don't use light lures or get involved with Tiddler Fiddling!

Cheers Mr Fish 👍 I guess I am probably in need of a more “General Purpose” rod probably in the 10’ to 12’ range
10 foot is really just a pier rod, I probably wouldn’t bother - or at least get a bass rod that can be multi purpose, though obviously it depends on the pier and amount of tide!

On the rocks if fishing for say, codling or huss/eels, if you’re fishing into very rough ground you need something with a bit of grunt, a lighter rod won’t cut it.

10 foot is really just a pier rod, I probably wouldn’t bother - or at least get a bass rod that can be multi purpose, though obviously it depends on the pier and amount of tide!

On the rocks if fishing for say, codling or huss/eels, if you’re fishing into very rough ground you need something with a bit of grunt, a lighter rod won’t cut it.
Many thanks for all your help … I will probably look at a 12’ or thereabouts bass rod and match it up with that older Shimano reel of mine

Many thanks for all your help … I will probably look at a 12’ or thereabouts bass rod and match it up with that older Shimano reel of mine
No worries but that won’t be strong enough for rock fishing with standard tactics.

Light ledgering for bass etc but you wouldn’t bully an eel out with it.

All depends what you’re going to be doing 🤷🏻‍♂️

No worries but that won’t be strong enough for rock fishing with standard tactics.

Light ledgering for bass etc but you wouldn’t bully an eel out with it.

All depends what you’re going to be doing 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don’t think we have any / many rock fishing locations in or around my neck of the woods so much of my fishing will probably be beach / harbour / bridge or pier

What about something like this?

I fish one alongside a shakespeare agility bass rod and it is a nice easy rod to fish with and will cast 4oz.
Cheers Thrasher

I am looking at the 12' version. What is the 3lb and 3.5lb all about and which one should I opt for?

Ta

Back