• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

My two old rods

Cheers Thrasher

I am looking at the 12' version. What is the 3lb and 3.5lb all about and which one should I opt for?

Ta
It's a strange way that Carp angling rods are rated, and is the equivalent of sea rod casting weights. Quite how they compare, I don't know! A 3.0Lb rod will be slightly 'weaker' than a 3.5Lb AFAIK.

As a rule, if you take your rod test curve number, and add a quarter of an ounce, you have the optimum casting weight. So, for a 3lb test curve rod, a lead of 3.25oz would be the best to get the maximum from the rod and so on.

As a rule, if you take your rod test curve number, and add a quarter of an ounce, you have the optimum casting weight. So, for a 3lb test curve rod, a lead of 3.25oz would be the best to get the maximum from the rod and so on.
I had no idea of that Beach so today I have learned at least one thing, thanks.

I do tend to find with rods it’s not one size fits all, so although you can use a carp rod on a pier or perhaps even rocks, for example, conditions or terrain may dictate otherwise ie too much tide or difficult terrain could see you struggling.

All I can add to that is you just need to build your rod collection as you go.
An all around beachcaster will suit for most situations, but at some point as you gain experience with the gear you’ll start thinking ‘I need something lighter for that mark, or heavier for this one…’ etc etc.
I couldn’t even tell you how many rods I have, probably at least 20 shore rods and that’s not including boat and some freshwater stuff.

Not all, but most get used at some point or other for different things.
Built up over the best part of 30 years though, I should add!

Last edited:
I do tend to find with rods it’s not one size fits all, so although you can use a carp rod on a pier or perhaps even rocks, for example, conditions or terrain may dictate otherwise ie too much tide or difficult terrain could see you struggling.
I would agree. My suggestion of the idea of a carp rod was against the idea of a bass rod. Otherwise a trad 12' beachcaster. I caught plenty with my old shakespeare patriot. Cheap as chips but caught me fish.

I would agree. My suggestion of the idea of a carp rod was against the idea of a bass rod. Otherwise a trad 12' beachcaster. I caught plenty with my old shakespeare patriot. Cheap as chips but caught me fish.
Funny you say this …. I decided this was the one for me

As suspected they are Continental Rods

first one is a Sonik SK Continental 4-6oz 4.88M

the other is an Abu Garcia Hellbender Surf 3.5 - 7 oz 5M

I could have sworn I had a matched pair but hey ho my memory is going AWOL the older I get

I can’t say I know much about them and definitely can’t remember how they performed

From our more knowledgeable members … are these any good?
No. Buy two 14’2” Sandstorms off me instead! 😂

Butcher! You’re as bad as John Holden! He thinks hacksaws were invented for cutting bits off fishing rods! 😂
That never worked! Well until Gorilla glue came along 😝

Back