• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New fixed spool reels

Emmcee75

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a pair of new reels. I've only ever used fixed spools so definitely sticking with them. I've used nearly all the daiwa range from my carp fishing days and of late the penn affinities both for carp and beach. I'm now looking at the shimano range for my beach fishing. My budget is a top end of £800 for the two reels. Been mainly looking at the shimano bullseye 9120, the ultegra Ci14 14000 or the power aero xsc 14000. Anyone on here shed any light on any of the latter 3 reels, what would you choose from those 3 or I'm open to other options.
Cheers in advance for any help.

So as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a pair of new reels. I've only ever used fixed spools so definitely sticking with them. I've used nearly all the daiwa range from my carp fishing days and of late the penn affinities both for carp and beach. I'm now looking at the shimano range for my beach fishing. My budget is a top end of £800 for the two reels. Been mainly looking at the shimano bullseye 9120, the ultegra Ci14 14000 or the power aero xsc 14000. Anyone on here shed any light on any of the latter 3 reels, what would you choose from those 3 or I'm open to other options.
Power aero’s all day , lovely reels

your bullseye's have a gear ratio of 3.5 :1, the ultegra from memory is 4.3 :1, the new power aero's come with a pg version of 3.5 :1, otherwise they are 4.3 as well if you need winching power either from height or due to the nature of the ground/fish go for the 3.5 ratio if you are over more "normal ground go for the higher retrieve ones ,personally power aero's all day long, stronger than the ultegra's, bullseye's are over priced unless you pick them up on ebay from the far east

your bullseye's have a gear ratio of 3.5 :1, the ultegra from memory is 4.3 :1, the new power aero's come with a pg version of 3.5 :1, otherwise they are 4.3 as well if you need winching power either from height or due to the nature of the ground/fish go for the 3.5 ratio if you are over more "normal ground go for the higher retrieve ones ,personally power aero's all day long, stronger than the ultegra's, bullseye's are over priced unless you pick them up on ebay from the far east
I only fish along the south coast so no rough ground or from heights so power aeros seems to be the choice from the replies, cheers.

Vote for the Ci4’s. Just a set, incredible reel for the price. But all Shimano’s will be good tbh
Yes great reels for clean beach work, but I found the xsb ones to be the best, the xsc that some of our members have seem to be rather delicate and not so hard wearing:cautious:

just seen angling direct has a sale on /some nice reels look cheep ,postage price ?

I’ve got a pair of bullseyes which I bought secondhand. I’ve been really impressed with them. The low gearing isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I quite like it. I skimmed a 4lb thornback ray across the surface just winding. 😊

Fixed Spool reels, what are these Alien things you speak of.. 🤣 🤣

Ian.

I think fixed spools are better put together than the multipliers now.
Never even touched a Mangle in over 50 years of beach fishing, so wouldn't know about the build quality.. ;)

Ian.

Sorry Emmcee75, gone off track with your thread mate... :)

Ian.

just seen angling direct has a sale on /some nice reels look cheep ,postage price ?
Cheers for the heads up. Black Friday tomorrow so I'll have a look about though I have noticed that some reels in a few shops have gone up in the last 3 weeks ,no doubt to be reduced back to the previous price of 3 weeks ago thus saving bugger all.

I am sure the Fixed Spool guys have given you the best advise mate, hope you get the Reels you are looking for.. (y)

Ian.

Back