• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New fixed spool reels

I don't use coffee grinders for sea fishing, only for fresh water with a float & mullet in the river.

Well I bit the bullet and got a pair of these. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I get to use them. First thing I noticed though is how much lighter they are than my penn's. If they perform as well as they feel and look then should be money well spent in my eyes. Screenshot_20231122_182100_Gallery.jpg

Well I bit the bullet and got a pair of these. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I get to use them. First thing I noticed though is how much lighter they are than my penn's. If they perform as well as they feel and look then should be money well spent in my eyes. View attachment 54415
Black Friday deal at Veals?

Well I bit the bullet and got a pair of these. I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I get to use them. First thing I noticed though is how much lighter they are than my penn's. If they perform as well as they feel and look then should be money well spent in my eyes. View attachment 54415
Can I ask "what are they".. 🤣 🤣

Nice looking reels mate, hope they serve you well. Tight Lines for when you get to use them.🎣

Ian.

Last edited:
You won't be disappointed!

Sonik SKS 8000 Surf Reel

I went for the cheap and cheerful reels.
If They brake well it’s no problem just throw them out. But keep the spools as line holders

Seen some good reviews and just as many bad ones.

As I do not intend to fish every week and just on occasions I thought they will do.
Loaded with braid there ready to go.
One with 30lb and the other with 40lb braid.

I can’t warrant spending £150 plus on a reel that may get used a few times a year.

There was a time I never gave it a thought as I fished a lot then so yes 150 or more was ok.

The same goes for the rod .
Back when I was fishing the moonraker rod was the one to get.
Now who knows. There are so many to choose from but again just occasionally. Something a lot cheaper.
I am not a cheapskate or have a small budget just can’t see the sense in spending a lot on any fishing gear.

A fellow sea angler down the road has the most expensive of everything and keeps buying the latest versions as they come out
Last bought. New rod near on £700 .

Still catching the same as the guy whom lives next door to him who has budget everything..
Hobbies are strange things.
What do others use around you neck of the woods for chasing the cod in the rough stuff?
I have a couple of Ryobi fixed spools that I used last time around, they were cheap but I still caught plenty of fish using them.

To be honest the reel just holds the fishing line.
it does very little more than that. Popular names are where the prices are hiked up.
as for the amount of bearings I can’t see that making a great deal of difference either.
So I decided it did not matter on the price . Paid what I thought was worth it ….
Maybe a fly reel does little more than hold the line but you are a fair bit off with sea fishing reels, unless you mean to hand line your gear back

To be honest the reel just holds the fishing line.
it does very little more than that. Popular names are where the prices are hiked up.
as for the amount of bearings I can’t see that making a great deal of difference either.
So I decided it did not matter on the price . Paid what I thought was worth it ….
Groundswell has beat me to it a bit but I can't agree with you that a reel just holds line. It can make a difference to line retrieve speed, line lay on retrieve, casting distance based on line coming off the spool evenly, cranking ability if retrieving through weed or with a good fish on, smoothness of clutch when playing a good fish and also balance when casting due to the weight of the reel. I'm sure there are other things but I can't think of them at the minute other than the obvious of having more features and better quality with a more expensive reel.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your choice of a cheaper reel if you don't fish very often, but those that choose a more expensive reel don't just do it because they like wasting their money. A good reel can make a big difference.

Sonik SKS 8000 Surf Reel

I went for the cheap and cheerful reels.
If They brake well it’s no problem just throw them out. But keep the spools as line holders

Seen some good reviews and just as many bad ones.

As I do not intend to fish every week and just on occasions I thought they will do.
Loaded with braid there ready to go.
One with 30lb and the other with 40lb braid.

I can’t warrant spending £150 plus on a reel that may get used a few times a year.

There was a time I never gave it a thought as I fished a lot then so yes 150 or more was ok.

The same goes for the rod .
Back when I was fishing the moonraker rod was the one to get.
Now who knows. There are so many to choose from but again just occasionally. Something a lot cheaper.
I am not a cheapskate or have a small budget just can’t see the sense in spending a lot on any fishing gear.

A fellow sea angler down the road has the most expensive of everything and keeps buying the latest versions as they come out
Last bought. New rod near on £700 .

Still catching the same as the guy whom lives next door to him who has budget everything..
Hobbies are strange things.
A bit like girlfriends/marriage?

No mate.. that’s multi wotsits..👍
Close but no cigar, fixed spool reels are called coffee grinders where I live, perhaps you come from places that call them different. ;)

Back