• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice New fixed spool reels

Groundswell has beat me to it a bit but I can't agree with you that a reel just holds line. It can make a difference to line retrieve speed, line lay on retrieve, casting distance based on line coming off the spool evenly, cranking ability if retrieving through weed or with a good fish on, smoothness of clutch when playing a good fish and also balance when casting due to the weight of the reel. I'm sure there are other things but I can't think of them at the minute other than the obvious of having more features and better quality with a more expensive reel.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your choice of a cheaper reel if you don't fish very often, but those that choose a more expensive reel don't just do it because they like wasting their money. A good reel can make a big difference.
While I agree with all that for casting reels, I do think to an extent people can overthink what they need for boat reels.

To an extent those are simply line reservoirs, the rod does, or should do, the work.
To an extent. You still need a decent drag, the reel needs to be robust enough for the job and generally a decent retrieve ratio is desirable.
But as long as you don’t scrape the bottom of the budget barrel or use an antique, imo there’s many reels that fit those specs.

Even now, boat or shore, I see a fair few anglers using the reel as a winch and seemingly totally forgetting the rod is there to absorb the power from a fish.

Groundswell has beat me to it a bit but I can't agree with you that a reel just holds line. It can make a difference to line retrieve speed, line lay on retrieve, casting distance based on line coming off the spool evenly, cranking ability if retrieving through weed or with a good fish on, smoothness of clutch when playing a good fish and also balance when casting due to the weight of the reel. I'm sure there are other things but I can't think of them at the minute other than the obvious of having more features and better quality with a more expensive reel.

I'm not saying you are wrong in your choice of a cheaper reel if you don't fish very often, but those that choose a more expensive reel don't just do it because they like wasting their money. A good reel can make a big difference.
Got to use my new reels last night and agree with everything you've said here.
So much lighter, smoother and the casting was effortless (not that I'm a big caster) but minimal effort and the line just flies off the reel. You said in a previous post that I "won't be disappointed " and I'm certainly not.
In my opinion the extra money is certainly worth it.

Now they have gone down to the charity shop.

the line lay was really bad and never went to the bottom of the spool
hence on a retrieve the was a dip at the bottom of the spool that line just loosely fell into .
not a good situation ….
Should have stuck them on your local Gumtree. At least you would have got some of your outlay back.

Back