• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Not seen one of these before?

mole trapper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any idea please?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123-164926_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230123-164926_WhatsApp.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 68
It's a Five Bearded Rockling, typical colouration.

It helps if the 'beards' are shown but that's definitely a 5 bearded.

It's the season for them I had four of them tonight but none were caught in the same place last Friday, they've just arrived.

It's a Five Bearded Rockling, typical colouration.

It helps if the 'beards' are shown but that's definitely a 5 bearded.

It's the season for them I had four of them tonight but none were caught in the same place last Friday, they've just arrived.
Is the one Just One Last Cast posted a five beard too?
Looking again I’d say it is, but not certain

Is the one Just One Last Cast posted a five beard too?
Looking again I’d say it is, but not certain
It has the right colouration , the shore rockling is browner. Colour is not usually a reliable way of determining at species but in the case of rocklings the three types are all different and don't seem to have regional variations in colour.

They are best photographed after being dunked in water or when they are in water, it makes the 'beards' stand up.

It has the right colouration , the shore rockling is browner. Colour is not usually a reliable way of determining at species but in the case of rocklings the three types are all different and don't seem to have regional variations in colour.

They are best photographed after being dunked in water or when they are in water, it makes the 'beards' stand up.
I’ve seen a few shore rockling of different shades (albeit all brown!) but I guess it’s the goldy pearlescent type effect that’s always common on the five bearded?
Brain is tired, couldn’t think of the description!

Back