• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Not seen one of these before?

I believe there is actually also a 4th type of Rockling called a "Northern Rockling".....these look like 5 beards, but the head is proportionally bigger compared with the body than a 5 beard, and often mis identified as 5 beards according to a piece I read the other day.

Might that be another name for a torsk? Also a cod relative and also tasty although I've never seen one or eaten one myself.

Might that be another name for a torsk? Also a cod relative and also tasty although I've never seen one or eaten one myself.
I've no idea, I just read a piece identifying what looked like a 5 beard, as a Northern....and it did have much bigger head proportions....they did give ratios (head to body) between the 2 species, but I can't recount what they were now.
I'll see if I can remember where the post was....think on an LRF site

I believe there is actually also a 4th type of Rockling called a "Northern Rockling".....these look like 5 beards, but the head is proportionally bigger compared with the body than a 5 beard, and often mis identified as 5 beards according to a piece I read the other day.
The book Fishes of the Sea, N Atlantic and Med J & G Lythgoe says that the Northern Rockling has supplementary barbels fringing the upper jaw. The mouth is bigger and reaches back further.

Back