• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Packing light?

Jonah

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anybody any tips for packing light for a beach session?

I keep trying to pack light but take everyfuxkingthinIown everytime.

Considering taking one rod just to force me to leave some crap at home 🤣🤣

Bucket or rucksack with bait ,leads , rigs , scissors and or knife. A drink or food if you bring it I just bring drinks.. Carrier bags screwed up in there for litter and maybe taking fish home.
Carry 2 rods and a tripod in a lightweight rod holdall, or strap together with bungee cables for the walk makes it much easier than holding loose rods.

If just doing a couple of hours with one rod you can fit everything in pockets or a tiny man bag type.thing

I have graduated from the school of "I'll take that too, in case I need it"!

Usually 2 or 3 rods, same amount of reels, Tripod, half a dozen weights, few bits of spare end tackle & a rig wallet, Lure box, 2 knives, Scissors, etc. etc. etc., plus a warm hat, waterproof jacket & a drink! Oh, and I always manage to forget something!

One of the few benefits of being unable to access difficult marks is I can put everything on wheels in a seatbox on a trolley, or similar.

Plus 1 extra lead in case of a crack off or snag
Nope as theres no point - if I get snagged I'd lose the rig too.. I perhaps should have said I'm fishing clean to light mixed and I do carry spare shock leader in a pocket and a daisy chain of easy links on my jacket zip tag

If bait fishing 2 rods & reels & 2 traces usually set up before hand and took apart for car transport, 2 spare traces and 4 grip leads, bait, knife tape/scales & pliers, and rod rest, all places are sand where i fish.

If lure fishing i have been known to just go to beach with rod reel and lure and walk in the surf on a nice evening.

Just to clarify, I take…

Two reels. Tin of leads, anything from four to 15 depending on the ground I’m fishing. Small box of rig bits thst has swivels, clips, beads etc. Rig wallet. Spool of rig body/shockleader. Spool/s of trace line, depending on what I need - many marks it’s just one strength.
Scales. Weighing sling. Multi tool. Knife. Small bait board. Spare headlight. Electrical tape (first aid kit). Box with various hooks. Couple of rags. Cold drink (bottle of tap water). Coffee flask.
Waterproofs and extra hoodie depending on the temp! Can be strapped to the outside of a rucksack if needs be.

I think that’s it. It all fits in the rucksack or seatbox and is easy enough to carry.
Rods and tripod are tied together with a Titan sling.
No beach shelter ever. No stove. No sausages and bacon to cook - I’m there to fish not faff about with food.

Just to clarify, I take…

Two reels. Tin of leads, anything from four to 15 depending on the ground I’m fishing. Small box of rig bits thst has swivels, clips, beads etc. Rig wallet. Spool of rig body/shockleader. Spool/s of trace line, depending on what I need - many marks it’s just one strength.
Scales. Weighing sling. Multi tool. Knife. Small bait board. Spare headlight. Electrical tape (first aid kit). Box with various hooks. Couple of rags. Cold drink (bottle of tap water). Coffee flask.
Waterproofs and extra hoodie depending on the temp! Can be strapped to the outside of a rucksack if needs be.

I think that’s it. It all fits in the rucksack or seatbox and is easy enough to carry.
Rods and tripod are tied together with a Titan sling.
No beach shelter ever. No stove. No sausages and bacon to cook - I’m there to fish not faff about with food.
No shelter……… 😬😬 need a house with 30+mph wind in your chops….. no wonder you look old 😉

No shelter……… 😬😬 need a house with 30+mph wind in your chops….. no wonder you look old 😉
I don’t usually go out in those conditions! 😂

Or if I do it’s local and shelters don’t really work on this coast, unless you want to float over to Wales…

Ok, a more serious answer and assuming that it's not a cod fishing session.

Traveling light.
1 rod, tripod, 2 reels, a dozen various rigs, 4 leads, scissors, t bar, knife, mini 1st aid kit, electrical tape, couple of cable ties, seat box (I find them more comfortable to carry with the breakaway conversion and I can't stand still for too long), food and drink, shock leader, swivels, spare tip eye+hot melt glue and a lighter and finally, bait elastic.

If it's a short session and not a long walk, I'll take a bucket instead of the seat box.

Leccy tape and cable ties are great for emergency repairs.
The spare tip eye has saved many a session.

If I'm a fair way from home or it's a long walk, I'll add another rod, reel and a lead or two.

Back