• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Packing light?

Not something you'll want do again in a hurry😳 😆 Cut my teeth fishing flat rock, cow's snout etc. My local marks now can be a longer walk but over pretty flat ground T F🤪

Ok, a more serious answer and assuming that it's not a cod fishing session.

Traveling light.
1 rod, tripod, 2 reels, a dozen various rigs, 4 leads, scissors, t bar, knife, mini 1st aid kit, electrical tape, couple of cable ties, seat box (I find them more comfortable to carry with the breakaway conversion and I can't stand still for too long), food and drink, shock leader, swivels, spare tip eye+hot melt glue and a lighter and finally, bait elastic.

If it's a short session and not a long walk, I'll take a bucket instead of the seat box.

Leccy tape and cable ties are great for emergency repairs.
The spare tip eye has saved many a session.

If I'm a fair way from home or it's a long walk, I'll add another rod, reel and a lead or two.
First aid kit?! That’s what the electrical tape is for!

If that can’t cure it then you need to pack up and go to A&E or call the coastguard 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've adapted my good old IG tripod to hold T bar(easy it slots in the gap between plastic block and ali v angle) and three cable tied holders that each accept either a flask or screw top tubs upcycled from my pharmaceutical needs. I've also wrapped it in sections of SOLAS tape. Those tubs keep my rigs, leads and bait all along the v bar meaning as I lift and move it all comes along easily

I've adapted my good old IG tripod to hold T bar(easy it slots in the gap between plastic block and ali v angle) and three cable tied holders that each accept either a flask or screw top tubs upcycled from my pharmaceutical needs. I've also wrapped it in sections of SOLAS tape. Those tubs keep my rigs, leads and bait all along the v bar meaning as I lift and move it all comes along easily

Sounds interesting. Any chance you put a pic up?

First aid kit?! That’s what the electrical tape is for!

If that can’t cure it then you need to pack up and go to A&E or call the coastguard 🤷🏻‍♂️
That 1st aid kit has been a godsend to many a angler over the years.
Leccy tape is great for wrapping over plasters to keep them dry.
It's also held more than a good few reels together and cracked spigots as well.

I'll try and take some pics in daylight but when it comes to posting them be aware that I'm not very tech savy 🤓

I'll try and take some pics in daylight but when it comes to posting them be aware that I'm not very tech savy 🤓
Shout me if you need any help. 👍👍

That 1st aid kit has been a godsend to many a angler over the years.
Leccy tape is great for wrapping over plasters to keep them dry.
It's also held more than a good few reels together and cracked spigots as well.
You don’t need plasters if you’ve got leccy tape! It’ll seal most cuts!

If it won’t, the fecker can crawl off to A&E and stop disturbing your fishing session 🤷🏻‍♂️

You don’t need plasters if you’ve got leccy tape! It’ll seal most cuts!

If it won’t, the fecker can crawl off to A&E and stop disturbing your fishing session 🤷🏻‍♂️
:eek::eek: Crawl to A&E the nearest from here is 1 and a half hours away.

And then you end up in the queue;);)

There's a massive difference between "packing light" and a shore session with food, bait etc for ten on Muckle Flugga. Let's get it into perspective. If you go in the dark it needs extras. If you intend to heal the wounded it needs extras etc etc but we're talking about "packing light"......

There's a massive difference between "packing light" and a shore session with food, bait etc for ten on Muckle Flugga. Let's get it into perspective. If you go in the dark it needs extras. If you intend to heal the wounded it needs extras etc etc but we're talking about "packing light"......
Indeed but I assumed we were looking at an average say 4/6 hour trip with two rods etc.

Certainly if you’re lure fishing and rock hopping that’s a bit different to two beachcasters and all the trimmings, but as I don’t lure fish, that’s usually what I take.

I still maintain that a very small 1st aid kit weighing only a few ounces can be included in traveling light.

Maybe another way of looking at this is, excluding rod and tripod, what is light?
5Lbs? 10Lbs? Or less than that?

Carrying a small first aid kit is always a good idea, as Shirley says they only weigh a few ounces and can be carried in a belt pouch or bumbag. I would add a survival blanket, fire starting kit and torch to that if you're fishing remote off the beaten track marks as mobile phone signals cannot always be guaranteed and you may find yourself waiting on help for a while.

Tackle wise if I want to be certain that I can tavel "light" I go fly fishing. Rod+reel, spool of leader, nail clippers, fly box containing about 20 flies, wee can of midge repellent and I'm good to go.

Back