• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Penn fathom Mag 2

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, this is probably a really dumb question, but....

What direction of the mag control increases or decreases the braking effect?

Clockwise says more and anticlockwise says less.

But, is that less or more breaking or less or more spool speed?

Sorry to be so dumb but I only use nobby or slidy mag controls.

Tia
Shirl

Tie swivel or something to end of leader then put reel in free spool let swivel drop and spool spin, turn dial to see effect on running spool.

See if that works…

Tie swivel or something to end of leader then put reel in free spool let swivel drop and spool spin, turn dial to see effect on running spool.

See if that works…
Won't make any difference ... mags won't effect the spool at such low revolutions.

Won't make any difference ... mags won't effect the spool at such low revolutions.
I’d have thought it would affect more with the metal passing through the magnetic field slower gives more bite for the magnet?
I can see a difference on mine…
But hey what do I know 💁😂

I’d have thought it would affect more with the metal passing through the magnetic field slower gives more bite for the magnet?
Nowt by the sounds of it.. 🤣

Ian.

Ok, this is probably a really dumb question, but....

What direction of the mag control increases or decreases the braking effect?

Clockwise says more and anticlockwise says less.

But, is that less or more breaking or less or more spool speed?

Sorry to be so dumb but I only use nobby or slidy mag controls.

Tia
Shirl
So why don't Penn mark the mag adjuster 0-9/10 like most bait caster multies. more kin money saving I reckon except the selling price.

So why don't Penn mark the mag adjuster 0-9/10 like most bait caster multies. more kin money saving I reckon except the selling price.
Could have been worse ... they could have written it in Chinese :ROFLMAO:

The plate distorts the magnetic field so there should be a noticeable difference. If there isn't then either your reel isn't running right or the method you are testing it with is flawed.

The plate distorts the magnetic field so there should be a noticeable difference. If there isn't then either your reel isn't running right or the method you are testing it

The plate distorts the magnetic field so there should be a noticeable difference. If there isn't then either your reel isn't running right or the method you are testing it with is flawed.
But that’s what I said… regardless of spool speed you will see a difference.
You told me earlier that at such a low speed the magnetic wouldn’t work and there wouldn’t be any difference in spool speed…

But that’s what I said… regardless of spool speed you will see a difference.
You told me earlier that at such a low speed the magnetic wouldn’t work and there wouldn’t be any difference in spool speed…
or the method you are testing it with is flawed.
Sometimes it feels like I'm talking Chinese.:D

Last edited:
Slightly off topic then, but are these reels any good? I have been looking at one on Gumtree but the description isn't very flattering. I am also a bit confused about whether to buy a new one or an older one as some seem to suggest the older ones are better than the new.

Is it me or does anyone else have trouble seeing the pointer on mag control reels .

Back