• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Penn fathom Mag 2

Are you moving to Wuhan? - just jesting :ROFLMAO:
It's tempting when I look at my tax return :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Slightly off topic then, but are these reels any good? I have been looking at one on Gumtree but the description isn't very flattering. I am also a bit confused about whether to buy a new one or an older one as some seem to suggest the older ones are better than the new.
The MkI had a better gearbox quite frankly but the MkII is still a good reel for the money. If they had left the gearbox alone and just added a mag they would have cracked it .

Is it me or does anyone else have trouble seeing the pointer on mag control reels .
Glasses were the answer for me, though I'd have to admit that I find them a serious handicap when night fishing.

It's tempting when I look at my tax return :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The MkI had a better gearbox quite frankly but the MkII is still a good reel for the money. If they had left the gearbox alone and just added a mag they would have cracked it .

Glasses were the answer for me, though I'd have to admit that I find them a serious handicap when night fishing.
Cheers for that information. It's great to have an expert's opinion.

I've just been looking and the Gumtree one has now gone so I will probably splash out on a new one.

Slightly off topic then, but are these reels any good? I have been looking at one on Gumtree but the description isn't very flattering. I am also a bit confused about whether to buy a new one or an older one as some seem to suggest the older ones are better than the new.
The old ones are the k9s spheroids.
The new ones I'm yet to test.
I bought the new ones for Jax as she doesn't get on with the Nobby mags as fitted to the original ones.
As yet, they have not been tested, so I can't comment.

Are you saying that the mk1 un magged fathom has the best gearbox and subsequent models are inferior or that the mk1 magged is as good as the mk1 un magged and there after that the gear box is inferior?
Thanks Russ.

Are you saying that the mk1 un magged fathom has the best gearbox and subsequent models are inferior or that the mk1 magged is as good as the mk1 un magged and there after that the gear box is inferior?
Thanks Russ.

Yes to the best gearbox bit ... the MK1 was a very sound mechanism :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

They changed the gearbox on the FathomII. Instead of the AR pawl being at the base of the drive they now have 3 AR pawls on a mechanism that traps into the sideplate/IAR bearing on the upper IAR collar. There are two collars on the drive shaft, one above the clutch and one inside it and they are loose on the drive shaft and where they engage with the top of the drag. The short version is the drive wobbles, you have less surface area on the drag and the drive is not captured at it's base as you would expect. It seems to work but its not pretty, easy to strip/rebuild or particularly well fitting.

The plus side is every other owner tries to fix the wobble and so I'm selling bucket loads of FathomII parts :D(y):D

Back