• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Penn Spinfisher 7500 LC?

Had both the old and new models, got rid of the newer ones but still use three of the older ones regularly for rough ground fishing. They’ve been great. Not the lightest, but very strong reels. And cast nicely.

Had both the old and new models, got rid of the newer ones but still use three of the older ones regularly for rough ground fishing. They’ve been great. Not the lightest, but very strong reels. And cast nicely.
Any reason in particular for not keeping the newer ones Graeme?

Just a quick question..?
Why use braid and not mono..?
I can get a higher breaking strain at a lower diameter than mono. I could potentially use a high enough breaking strain to fish with no shock leader and not really need a shock leader using the 10lb breaking strain to ounce rule and still only be equivalent to 18-20lb mono. If I do put a shock leader on it has a very small knot to go through the rod eyes.
I like the bite detection it gives, very direct as it is low to zero stretch.
I can but a lot of it relatively cheaply from china.
I like it as I use fixed spool reels.

Which braid will you go for mate?
I use the Dorisea-uk site on ebay, and it has Agepoch, Dorisea or Saratoga brands, posdibly others, probably all the same though.
I will be looking to buy that in 8-strand and will be lokking to buy a high vis colour, I think, yellow, orange, green or possibly the multi-coloured one the do.
Fishing at night from the rocks I want to see where the line is going and currently I am on 30lb 8 strand in red (saratoga shadowstrike) with an 80lb 4 strand shock leader in yellow which works really well when you get the torch on the yellow leader when bringing a fish in. The red does disappear a bit at night though.
I might scrap the yellow idea and go for another contrasting colour.

I can get a higher breaking strain at a lower diameter than mono. I could potentially use a high enough breaking strain to fish with no shock leader and not really need a shock leader using the 10lb breaking strain to ounce rule and still only be equivalent to 18-20lb mono. If I do put a shock leader on it has a very small knot to go through the rod eyes.
I like the bite detection it gives, very direct as it is low to zero stretch.
I can but a lot of it relatively cheaply from china.
I like it as I use fixed spool reels.
Couldn't get on with it on my beachcasting F/S reels, but the same braid now works fine on my lure reels.
Could be to do with line lay on the old reel. Did consider trying 60lb braid straight through on my Surfblaster II LC - have now got a spare spool but not bought any Braid yet.

I use the Dorisea-uk site on ebay, and it has Agepoch, Dorisea or Saratoga brands, posdibly others, probably all the same though.
I will be looking to buy that in 8-strand and will be lokking to buy a high vis colour, I think, yellow, orange, green or possibly the multi-coloured one the do.
Fishing at night from the rocks I want to see where the line is going and currently I am on 30lb 8 strand in red (saratoga shadowstrike) with an 80lb 4 strand shock leader in yellow which works really well when you get the torch on the yellow leader when bringing a fish in. The red does disappear a bit at night though.
I might scrap the yellow idea and go for another contrasting colour.
Useful info - I'll try to find that on eBay. 👍👍

Back