• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Penn Spinfisher 7500 LC?

Does it cast any better..?
Only if your reel has a good line lay and can avoid wind knots.
Pound for pound against mono an 8 strand braid will cast further.
For example 10lb maxima is 0.3mm in diamter, 20lb daiwa j braid 8 strand is 0.16mm in diameter, so I get extra breaking strain in a thinner line I can cast further.
Probably not much in it when you get to similar diameters other than you will have a far higher breaking strain in the braid.

Couldn't get on with it on my beachcasting F/S reels, but the same braid now works fine on my lure reels.
Could be to do with line lay on the old reel. Did consider trying 60lb braid straight through on my Surfblaster II LC - have now got a spare spool but not bought any Braid yet.
Line lay is critical, if your reels are not up to it stick to mono.
I made the mistake once of putying some on an Abu Cardinal I had, it just wasn't up to the job and wind knotted about every second cast.
I had only used it in shimano reels up to that point.

Line lay is critical, if your reels are not up to it stick to mono.
I made the mistake once of putying some on an Abu Cardinal I had, it just wasn't up to the job and wind knotted about every second cast.
I had only used it in shimano reels up to that point.

I think it was the Vertix Dragon reel that I had terrible wind knot problems with, in a moment of madness I bought it to match my Vertix conti rod. Wasn't a cheap reel, but the bail arm roller failed, so no longer in use.
It was Kastking braid, and it's been fine on my Shimano 3000 & 4000 reels. 👍👍

I think it was the Vertix Dragon reel that I had terrible wind knot problems with, in a moment of madness I bought it to match my Vertix conti rod. Wasn't a cheap reel, but the bail arm roller failed, so no longer in use.
It was Kastking braid, and it's been fine on my Shimano 3000 & 4000 reels. 👍👍
I can't believe it doesn't all come out the same factory.
The shimmies made the difference.

I can't believe it doesn't all come out the same factory.
The shimmies made the difference.
Yep. Vertix Dragon went wrong after about half a dozen trips out, and since Grauvell went bust, no spares available.
Twas right in the height of lockdown, no new Surfblasters available and 2nd hand ones were fetching silly money, so bought a Mitchell Blue water RZ to 'tide' me over for half the price of the Vertix and it's twice the reel. Mitchell is all part of Pure Fishing anyway, so probably came out the same door as the Penn.
Shimanos for lure fishing have been great, and they are from the lower end of the range. Bought one off JM and two off eBay all 2nd hand for less than £80!

Just found an Ugly Stik in the garage, little use and not been used for donkey's. Pretty good nick apart from the rings which have some sort of blue "mould" coating. Tried to get the stuff off with washing liquid and the wife's toothbrush but not making much progress. Would bleach do the trick? Cheers.

Just found an Ugly Stik in the garage, little use and not been used for donkey's. Pretty good nick apart from the rings which have some sort of blue "mould" coating. Tried to get the stuff off with washing liquid and the wife's toothbrush but not making much progress. Would bleach do the trick? Cheers.

There was a video I saw recently about some guy trying to refurb a rod that had been in his shed for a few years. Think he used White Vinegar to clean the eyes. Not sure if it's any good or not. I'll try to find the video.

Back