• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

plaice rigs

Plaice can be caught any method on any bait.... thats true.
But they are probably also the species that offer you the best chance of increased bags with a technical approach.
You want to catch one you can go with a bent pin and bacon rind you want to catch lots you best have a game plan.

I fish the Skerries a lot, and TBF have had good results, but the learning curve has taken some time to get the best from it, and TBH, Slapton / Beesands (and maybe Blackpool sands) should fish the same as it is almost the same bit of water.

1. We only use a single hook on a short (ish) trace (about 12"), and a large(ish) hook (1/0 or 2/0) so effectively fishing for one fish at a time. Also, you stand a better chance of a big smalleyed (we have had them to 12lb) and Turbot (usually 5 - 10lb). If you fish wishbones or spreader booms with smaller hooks, then you will be plagued with postage stamp plaice and dabs.

2. Most if not all the bites come on the drift, and the best speed is 1 - 2knts, so shore fishing I would use a lead that just holds bottom and rolls around a lot. When we hit slack water and no drift, then the bites drop dramatically.

3. Worm baits do not seem to work, the best baits in that area are cocktails of Mack belly /Squid strip, or Prawn / Squid strip. Frozen prawn is my goto bait for the Skerries, and if I can't get Prawn, then frozen razors work, but not as good. The above baits out fish worm by about 15 to 1.
Launce baits are good for the big Blonds on the outer edge of the banks, but I can't see any reason why you would not get them off the beach at Slapton.

If the weather holds, then early next week is looking good for me.

Last edited:
Plaice fishing for me is more to do with finding the edge of the sandbanks, if the banks have moved from one year to the next? then it's a matter of relocating them. Ragworm a long flowing trace an most times a 100 metre cast or more is the requirement over here.

Now saying that the beaches over here in Northern Ireland are most likely completely different from the beaches across the water, although i do think way to much faith is put into these certain types of rigs to single out a certain species, habitat is way more important for me.

When the flatties are close in? Beads an bling dont do any harmđź‘Ť

Put the work in to find the fish rather than reliance on a rig to single them out an all your shore fishing will improve is my over 4 decades take on it lol.

Mark...

Back