• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Price increase(Century).

Andy1962

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Was in Poingdestre,s the other day and looking at the Century range seems they have put prices up across the board by £35-45 per rod for example T700 was £570 after discount now £600, rrp £685 & C Curve was £499 now £540, rrp £615.

I imagine production costs have gone up . Im an engineer and the price of steels & plastics have gone through the roof so i can imagine the same applies to the materials they use . Unfortunately these price increases have to be passed on for companies to survive .

Like everything else, materials have increased in price, so obviously Carbon has as well.

Ian.

Gerry's run a promotion over the Christmas period usually. I think it's an extra 10% off. I managed a good saving on a pair of ttgsm last year. If you're thinking of purchasing maybe hang on for the sale.
There's always some rods available on eBay in good condition which will be cheaper too.

VMO 10% off of everything this weekend, ends midnight Monday.. BANK10 :)

Ian.

Was in Poingdestre,s the other day and looking at the Century range seems they have put prices up across the board by £35-45 per rod for example T700 was £570 after discount now £600, rrp £685 & C Curve was £499 now £540, rrp £615.
Costs generally have gone up quite considerably over the past year. Some manufacturers have pushed up their prices to compensate, and some have tried to keep it the same, knowing the trade, as a whole, is having a bad time.

The whole industry is in an over-supply situation currently, with many wholesalers/manufacturers over-buying after covid, thinking the good run would carry on. It didn't. At the end of the day, out of x amount of new anglers, how many are actually going to go and buy more rods? Not many. You've only got a small percentage of anglers that continually buy a new shiny rod. The vast majority keep rods for 5+ years (often longer).

Most pricing will be going up again soon, in September for some companies and April for others, depending on when they release their new ranges. Sea fishing has actually been shielded from it to a certain extent, as those of us in sea fishing know pricing is far keener in that discipline than it is in, say, carp fishing. There have been at least four price rises by one prominent carp fishing brand in the past year and a half.

Fishing is still a cottage industry, and the profit margins are very low for most of the manufacturers you buy from. Some tackle companies you use and love are only worthwhile businesses because they do other things away from fishing. When you take into account that most manufacturers and wholesalers employ less than 10 people, it shows how small these businesses are. Most are small, family-run affairs that struggle to turn a profit most of the time. Fishing is no different to any other business, and it is affected by what happens on a global scale regardless of where the final product is made.

Costs generally have gone up quite considerably over the past year. Some manufacturers have pushed up their prices to compensate, and some have tried to keep it the same, knowing the trade, as a whole, is having a bad time.

The whole industry is in an over-supply situation currently, with many wholesalers/manufacturers over-buying after covid, thinking the good run would carry on. It didn't. At the end of the day, out of x amount of new anglers, how many are actually going to go and buy more rods? Not many. You've only got a small percentage of anglers that continually buy a new shiny rod. The vast majority keep rods for 5+ years (often longer).

Most pricing will be going up again soon, in September for some companies and April for others, depending on when they release their new ranges. Sea fishing has actually been shielded from it to a certain extent, as those of us in sea fishing know pricing is far keener in that discipline than it is in, say, carp fishing. There have been at least four price rises by one prominent carp fishing brand in the past year and a half.

Fishing is still a cottage industry, and the profit margins are very low for most of the manufacturers you buy from. Some tackle companies you use and love are only worthwhile businesses because they do other things away from fishing. When you take into account that most manufacturers and wholesalers employ less than 10 people, it shows how small these businesses are. Most are small, family-run affairs that struggle to turn a profit most of the time. Fishing is no different to any other business, and it is affected by what happens on a global scale regardless of where the final product is made.
One of the problems Mike is that a number of items are overpriced to begin with, hence buyers don't change their equipment more often.

One of the problems Mike is that a number of items are overpriced to begin with, hence buyers don't change their equipment more often.
I don't believe that is the case, to be honest. Rods and reels are high capital expenses, most people buy for the long term, and the only people who have ever constantly swapped and changed rods in fishing are match anglers. It has always been a minority who buy rods often. It is why I've always believed the American system of only wanting to sell durable products (Rods and Reels) is ultimately flawed.

In sea fishing, not a lot is overpriced. I know the margins of most of it, it is well below the average in practically every other consumer product in other sectors. Carp fishing is a different story. I know of one carp brand that is selling the same swivel that a sea fishing brand uses and charging £3.49 for 8 when the sea fishing brand is selling 10 for £1.99.

I actually think it's a bad idea for people to be swapping rods every five minutes, the industry needs to move to get back to the basics that terminal, line, bait are your bedrock, rods and reels are your bonus sales.

My sales guys go into shops and make sure that the shops are never overbuying. Or philosophy is to make sure that the shops are here for a long time, not to overload them with stuff they're going to find hard to shift. Many other companies are all about the targets and loading up shops to the hilt with very little thought towards the future.

One player in the UK has recently released their "clearance list" its value is double its turnover in the UK...speaks volumes.

I don't believe that is the case, to be honest. Rods and reels are high capital expenses, most people buy for the long term, and the only people who have ever constantly swapped and changed rods in fishing are match anglers. It has always been a minority who buy rods often. It is why I've always believed the American system of only wanting to sell durable products (Rods and Reels) is ultimately flawed.

In sea fishing, not a lot is overpriced. I know the margins of most of it, it is well below the average in practically every other consumer product in other sectors. Carp fishing is a different story. I know of one carp brand that is selling the same swivel that a sea fishing brand uses and charging £3.49 for 8 when the sea fishing brand is selling 10 for £1.99.

I actually think it's a bad idea for people to be swapping rods every five minutes, the industry needs to move to get back to the basics that terminal, line, bait are your bedrock, rods and reels are your bonus sales.

My sales guys go into shops and make sure that the shops are never overbuying. Or philosophy is to make sure that the shops are here for a long time, not to overload them with stuff they're going to find hard to shift. Many other companies are all about the targets and loading up shops to the hilt with very little thought towards the future.

One player in the UK has recently released their "clearance list" its value is double its turnover in the UK...speaks volumes.
Mike I agree with most of your comments, however I have purchased equipment that had decent discounts and seemed a reasonable price. Agree if we look after our purchases they will last, an example is my old 70's Abu multipliers that are serviced, cleaned and oiled regularly after each trip and have never let me down and are still in use. The same with my 2-5oz 11ft bass and 13ft 4 - 7oz bait sea fishing rods. The new equipment nowadays doesn't seem the same quality unless you pay a fortune for them. Hence I look after the reels and rods I have.

Last edited:
The quality is there but you need to look closely and outside the box at times. Rods are a prime example the new century fire blades are a good example and doing your homework of where you fish most often and getting a rod that will suit all those venues instead having to buy a separate rod for a few venues you fish. The same applies to reels I’ve still got my 65,s and love using them but wouldn’t dream of taking them up the BC. The problem has always been the sea fishing community are a minority for the vast amount of tackle shops and spending habits always showed this. So dealers will cater for those that will spend just to be seen as a good angler carp fishing a prime example the problem is now it’s awash with companies that are all producing similar items but named differently but each company has its devout followers who will buy anything they release but after the initial rush on a product the interest fades and the sales then are relatively small. Hence the amount of new products released in certain angling sectors. I’ve coarse match fished carp fished pleasure fished match fished sea and been in the trade on and off for 30 years and with sea fishing probably the one area where the biggest changes have been the long conti rods and the fixed spools which in a way are a move across from carp fishing. Sea fishing unfortunately has seen its peak of anglers when the tackle is at its height quality wise. I don’t change my rods as much now but have a couple of blanks out away for the day my 13.7 match pros are past it and will have them built up and my centuries will see me through a good number of rough ground years.

The reels don't affect me as I use multipliers for sea fishing, only use coffee grinders (fixed spools) for spinning.

I imagine production costs have gone up . Im an engineer and the price of steels & plastics have gone through the roof so i can imagine the same applies to the materials they use . Unfortunately these price increases have to be passed on for companies to survive .
Or rip the buyer off their hard earned cash.

Looks like the newoldnew Zziplex range will undercut C's top end rods.
Wonder how long that will last.

can’t see the price undercut will make a difference unless they expand the zziplex range more different technologies plus uses and let’s be fair there has always been a zziplex or century debate that still has its loyal followers. For century its a win win the rods fill in the gaps in the price ranges nicely.

can’t see the price undercut will make a difference unless they expand the zziplex range more different technologies plus uses and let’s be fair there has always been a zziplex or century debate that still has its loyal followers. For century its a win win the rods fill in the gaps in the price ranges nicely.
Overpriced and over here imo.

Back