• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Price of bait

Pendeenpiscator

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Not a moan as I gather bait is now expensive, but have been away from sea fishing for so long, for instance average price of fresh lug and rag worms. Lug seems to be per worm whereas rag is by weight?? Realise it will vary across the country, but average prices please.

I dig my own blow lug but buy frozen welsh black for the freezer when needed about a fiver a wrap. I also buy frozen squid and bluey and stuff when and where available but never had a lot of success with rag at my venues, and don't ever use it now. Mussels are handy at some places, so my advice would be to only buy stuff that is favoured at a particular venue? Pointless buying lug or rag if a fish bait will do? plenty of mack and such in supermarkets to cut up and freeze? and mussels stuffed into a bit of that mesh tubing works well in most places??:unsure:

I dig my own blow lug but buy frozen welsh black for the freezer when needed about a fiver a wrap. I also buy frozen squid and bluey and stuff when and where available but never had a lot of success with rag at my venues, and don't ever use it now. Mussels are handy at some places, so my advice would be to only buy stuff that is favoured at a particular venue? Pointless buying lug or rag if a fish bait will do? plenty of mack and such in supermarkets to cut up and freeze? and mussels stuffed into a bit of that mesh tubing works well in most places??:unsure:
I haven't figured out how they price Ragworm at the local bait store - you tell them how much you want in ££ and they dish it out. Also bought a few packs of frozen Mackerel last time I was in there. £2.50 per pack of 3, I think. Not bought any other bait for years - I tend to use Prawns, artificials or lures.

Won't be buying that Mackerel again. After 2 trips out using it, it stinks like nothing I ever smelled before. At least 2 months since I was last out fishing, and a couple of my older sweatshirts that I use for fishing & sculling around the house still smell of it. They have been through countless 60 deg C washes, and we just cannot eliminate the smell. Wondering if it is because the Mackerel were frozen whole IE not gutted?
Back to Morrisons fish counter for Mackerel bait for me!

I've bought some smashing fish from morrisons for bait and bags of mussels and razorfish. Agree, some of the tackle shop stuff is rank. I get lovely frozen bluey from the Chinese wholesalers.?

10 wraps of fresh black lug varies from £3.40 to £4.00 down our way and depends where you buy it. King Rag is a similar price for about 2ozs. Hate to think what peeler crabs cost nowadays. I get frozen squid at £3.00 per box, fresh prawns are about £6 per kilo from a fresh fish shop.

£18 for a lb of rag down ere £6 a box of squid £4 a bag of unwashed don’t tend to use lug apart from fresh blacks for chisel my mates got a supplyer up country pays around £4.50 a wrap buys in bulk tho and I never buy crab get it for free from another mate ?

I haven't figured out how they price Ragworm at the local bait store - you tell them how much you want in ££ and they dish it out. Also bought a few packs of frozen Mackerel last time I was in there. £2.50 per pack of 3, I think. Not bought any other bait for years - I tend to use Prawns, artificials or lures.

Won't be buying that Mackerel again. After 2 trips out using it, it stinks like nothing I ever smelled before. At least 2 months since I was last out fishing, and a couple of my older sweatshirts that I use for fishing & sculling around the house still smell of it. They have been through countless 60 deg C washes, and we just cannot eliminate the smell. Wondering if it is because the Mackerel were frozen whole IE not gutted?
Back to Morrisons fish counter for Mackerel bait for me!
Who’s mackerel was it bud i tend to not refrezze fish baits as it generally goes to shit not much of an issue in winter keeping it frozen but summertime I’ll only take wot I need never bring it back

Who’s mackerel was it bud i tend to not refrezze fish baits as it generally goes to shit not much of an issue in winter keeping it frozen but summertime I’ll only take wot I need never bring it back
It came from South West Sea baits Tats. Supposedly blast frozen when fresh caught & Vac packed. Still got 2 packs in Wifey's Freezer - gonna donate them to Jhon! I've never known anything smell like it! :sick::sick::sick:

Used frozen black lug for the first time yesterday, obviously not experienced in it's use but not sure if it's supposed to be a messy blob after being in the sea. Can't really dig my own due to my back, so realising sea fishing is now going to be very expensive. I had frozen squid and mackerel with me, but yet another blank, so not a great start to bait fishing. Hoping as the weather warms up, catches will improve.

We used to use strips of cheap Ox Liver to catch flounder, whiting and eels in the Humber forty years ago.

With the cost of worms now you could use Duchy Organic British Beef Rib Steak from Waitrose @ £28.98/kg and save money.

And you could eat the left over bait.

Used frozen black lug for the first time yesterday, obviously not experienced in it's use but not sure if it's supposed to be a messy blob after being in the sea. Can't really dig my own due to my back, so realising sea fishing is now going to be very expensive. I had frozen squid and mackerel with me, but yet another blank, so not a great start to bait fishing. Hoping as the weather warms up, catches will improve.
Get yourself a bait needle and elastic bud makes it so easy to bait up

It came from South West Sea baits Tats. Supposedly blast frozen when fresh caught & Vac packed. Still got 2 packs in Wifey's Freezer - gonna donate them to Jhon! I've never known anything smell like it! :sick::sick::sick:
If it’s that bad mate next time your out off a pier or similar just chop it up into chunks and throw it in amazing wot a bit of ground baiting will bring on the feed mate don’t give to Mithall ffs ?‍♀️

Shop near to me were advertising Devon Peelers the other week for £1.50 each, Black Lug around £4-5 per 10, Rag at £17.20 per lb.
Other shop at Cosham were doing Devon crab for £1.20, Black Lug £3.50/10 & Rag for £16 per lb.

Last edited:
You tube has a few how to videos.

Get yourself a bait needle and elastic bud makes it so easy to bait up
Used a bait needle and elastic but it was so slimy it was almost impossible to keep the worms in place, I had about five left,so have refrozen them after adding salt to them. Not sure what that will do though! I have watched loads of videos, the worms in them look drier and firmer, they also firm up when thrown on a hard surface. The ones I had, just laid there like the deceased parrot, they did stink though!

Used a bait needle and elastic but it was so slimy it was almost impossible to keep the worms in place, I had about five left,so have refrozen them after adding salt to them. Not sure what that will do though! I have watched loads of videos, the worms in them look drier and firmer, they also firm up when thrown on a hard surface. The ones I had, just laid there like the deceased parrot, they did stink though!
The fish will go for them, although not many parrot fish around.

Back