• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Price of bait

Last edited:
I travel a very long way to the coast.
Purchasing his mail order is not really an option.
Fresh baits are the only way really but the cost is stupidly expensive

I haven't figured out how they price Ragworm at the local bait store - you tell them how much you want in ££ and they dish it out. Also bought a few packs of frozen Mackerel last time I was in there. £2.50 per pack of 3, I think. Not bought any other bait for years - I tend to use Prawns, artificials or lures.

Won't be buying that Mackerel again. After 2 trips out using it, it stinks like nothing I ever smelled before. At least 2 months since I was last out fishing, and a couple of my older sweatshirts that I use for fishing & sculling around the house still smell of it. They have been through countless 60 deg C washes, and we just cannot eliminate the smell. Wondering if it is because the Mackerel were frozen whole IE not gutted?
Back to Morrisons fish counter for Mackerel bait for me!
You sure "Wifey" Hasn't been rubbing her Furry Mank all over it bit like a fox etc Scent marking as thinks mackerel are a challenge on her patch!:oops:
🤮😷🥴🤢

Fresh black or 'swimmer' blow lug in water are 30p each from local 'diggers' here. I pump, blanch and freeze my own black lug and its pretty much all I use aside from tipping with 'party squid' (frozen unwashed calamari in boxes, £3 from a local seafood wholesalers) when uptiding in the Mersey. I lure fish mostly for bass in season but will occasionally fish for them with baits in heavily coloured water and if its a favourable LW then I'll pump and put them straight on the pennel but believe me 15 seconds blanched frozen is just as good. Straight frozen is crap in comparison. I dare say other areas are quite different

Fresh black or 'swimmer' blow lug in water are 30p each from local 'diggers' here. I pump, blanch and freeze my own black lug and its pretty much all I use aside from tipping with 'party squid' (frozen unwashed calamari in boxes, £3 from a local seafood wholesalers) when uptiding in the Mersey. I lure fish mostly for bass in season but will occasionally fish for them with baits in heavily coloured water and if its a favourable LW then I'll pump and put them straight on the pennel but believe me 15 seconds blanched frozen is just as good. Straight frozen is crap in comparison. I dare say other areas are quite different
Straight frozen is better than blanched in my book, just fiddlier to use

You all probably have your own preffered bait supplier BUT should any of you feel like a change there is one near me in Portsmouth that I will probably use / try out.

It looks like an online service only

Any others of a similar nature you could recommend

NB. I don’t do bait digging as I have a full time job and am a bit too old for that now
I've used solent baits in the past and I've just met him at his house with my order. I've also used two other online bait companies, these being Baitsrus (also in Portsmouth) and online baits. Never had any issues with any of them. Also if you're near Portsmouth then you have a couple of good tackle shops nearby, one being Cosham angling and it is always well stocked.

I've used solent baits in the past and I've just met him at his house with my order. I've also used two other online bait companies, these being Baitsrus (also in Portsmouth) and online baits. Never had any issues with any of them. Also if you're near Portsmouth then you have a couple of good tackle shops nearby, one being Cosham angling and it is always well stocked.
Cheers Emmcee, much appreciated. You have jogged my memory now on Baitsrus .. I think this one is on an Industrial Estate round the corner from where I work

Straight frozen is better than blanched in my book, just fiddlier to use
Obviously we don't agree Vallleyboy but then that's what a forum is for - airing opinions! Blanched is far easier to bait up with, has some resistance to crabs and pin whiting and has caught me my best bass and cod and those of my boat and shore partners. Maybe it's a local thing? I have 100% faith in it for my two target species in the Liverpool /Morecambe bay and Solway areas I fish.

Obviously we don't agree Vallleyboy but then that's what a forum is for - airing opinions! Blanched is far easier to bait up with, has some resistance to crabs and pin whiting and has caught me my best bass and cod and those of my boat and shore partners. Maybe it's a local thing? I have 100% faith in it for my two target species in the Liverpool /Morecambe bay and Solway areas I fish.
Blanched worms work fine and are a lot easier to use but I think worms vac packed and frozen unblanched after about 5 days uncovered in the fridge fish best for me. That would be Wallasey way or in the Dee next door. It takes all sorts though

Back