• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Price of bait

I have used bought squid with no success and frozen sand eel, the crabs loved the sand eel.
Last year tried frozen razors and limpets again with no luck.

Is it me????

No, have used caught mackerel to catch and collected softie crabs to catch with.

I like the boxes of calamari 'party squid' from a local wholesaler. 10 boxes £19 last time I bought any(pre covid I bought 30 and have at least 20 boxes left:rolleyes:) I avoid the bigger bleached squid personally. They make good wraps over worm when elasticated whole on a clipped down pennel from the shore, and are great for cutting into tip-offs on the big worm cod baits we prefer uptided from the boat

I don’t actually mind the boxed calamari. It might just be a confidence thing but historically I seem to have done better on that than the bags of ‘unwashed’ squid which always seem to be a bit small for what I want.

Went to Saundersfoot yesterday at low and salted about 20 razors and my mate had around 30, mostly 6" or a bit bigger. They were on the extreme of low water which I guess shows the beach is well picked. Not to many peeps down there ( freezing strong wind and cold water temps) and no "professionals" with their sleds . On the downside bloody chippy was closed so I had to go the the mini Tesco. Good value meal deal , Triple bacon and egg sarnie ( 3 rounds of bread) big bag of crisps and regular coffee for £3 with my club card.

Was in Lidl this morming and noticed they had bags of frozen sardines 1kg for £2.99.
WOW! Thanks! Might have to add that to the shopping list! (y)(y)

You all probably have your own preffered bait supplier BUT should any of you feel like a change there is one near me in Portsmouth that I will probably use / try out.

It looks like an online service only

Any others of a similar nature you could recommend

NB. I don’t do bait digging as I have a full time job and am a bit too old for that now

Nearly forgot this! Taken for reference in a local (Plymouth) tackle shop last week. May be of interest for comparison.

1667643581834.png

Back