• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pulley rig

philthefish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Happy new year to you all
I'm going to start making some pulley pennel rigs again when I made them a few years ago There wasn't the gemini pulley beads etc about just used to use stronger swivel instead what do people use or prefer to use
Also circle hooks for the top hook 5/0 bmx xtra on the bottom fishing for cod hounds etc

I used a heavy swivel years ago but it always seemed to kink the line. Nowadays I use a proper pulley job ( cannot remember which one) and no problem with a kinked line now as the line exits at 180 degrees…

I seem to have pulley beads from gemini, breakaway, tronix and a yellow unbranded packet, I also have the trident aero pulley and dynaform.
Got rigs tied with them all.

If a pulley rig is the only sensible option available (generally it's a last resort) then use breakaways proper pulley for distance casting or a Gemini link for closer in.

Keep the rig as clutter free as possible, after all, you are only using it because it's filthy ground and you are likely to loose it.

If you just need to keep the lead above the fish, you are far better off using an up n over rig.

The bite to hook up ratios for pulley rigs are crap Vs patternoster or up n over.

Use the trident and Gemini beads and had no issues with either. As DSG said pulleys can be a bit shy on bite detection I use a piece of neoprene tubing with the line passed through twice to make a sliding stop knot. The rig is almost a paternoster but the knot slides under pressure from a fish I find it sides detection.

I use pulley beads on my pulley rigs,with normal hooks ,I don't have any probs with my set up ,I don't like circle hooks

Like a running up and over but for some venues up the channel I don’t like using the rig with a rotten bottom. But both are my go to rigs for there in the majority of the venues I fish.

So what’s an up and over rig look like..?
I have been using pulley or pulley pennel for years as with crap eyes and cold hands I find it the easiest to clip down for max distance on the shallow Lincs beaches. Interested to read a few comments about poor bite detection, hadn’t realised. Will investigate up and overs to see if they are as easy….

Back