• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Pulley rig

A method used in strong tidal pull, often used when fishing from a boat but works from the shore. Cast uptide and let out a load of slack line to create a big bow. This helps the leads hold in the strong pull.
View attachment 56850
Well there’s a thing that I had never done… I just put one rod left.. and one rod right.. am I wrong..?

Obviously I must be.
If you're lead is holding then no, you're fine.
I fish on the Mersey. If you cast a 7oz lead straight out and don't paye any line out your rig will just roll until it finds a snag.

What is this uptide thing that you speak of..??
New one on me.
Well, if I’m fishing a flood tide on most of my beaches the tide runs right to left, so when I cast I will either walk along the beach to the right 30 yards or so then cast or I’ll cast 30 odd degrees to my right. Which will make the rig fish uptide.
If there’s a feature in the seabed I want to fish I won’t set up right in front of it, I’ll always set up down tide so I can fish uptide.

Well, if I’m fishing a flood tide on most of my beaches the tide runs right to left, so when I cast I will either walk along the beach to the right 30 yards or so then cast or I’ll cast 30 odd degrees to my right. Which will make the rig fish uptide.
If there’s a feature in the seabed I want to fish I won’t set up right in front of it, I’ll always set up down tide so I can fish uptide.
I am going to put my thinking hat on…😳

Not at all @flappy
If the conditions you fish allow that, then 👍👍👍👍

It's just a method of combating strong tides.
I only fish sandy beaches for turbo and flounder.. had some over 2 lbs.. clambering down rocks is finished now after my strokes..
I always get one rod that is constantly rolling in the tide.. and one that holds solid..
I guess that’s why..🙄
So really I should put both rods into the way the tide is pushing from and put a bow in the line..?
Having learned from carp fishing I always clip up tight to aid bite detection..😳

I get it. ..so me putting one rod 45 degrees to the right and one rod 45 degrees to the left is incorrect.??
And why if you put them both to the right don’t they tangle together..?
These are the pebbles that I fish about once a year..🙄
1704144643925.jpeg

Last edited:
I get it. ..so me putting one rod 45 degrees to the right and one rod 45 degrees to the left is incorrect.??
And why if you put them both to the right don’t they tangle together..?
If your fishing slack water then you can fish a rod to your left and right.
When I’m sending both rods uptide I fish one further out than the other and have the lesser range rod facing the tide so on the right hand side of the 2 rods on the flood or the left hand rod if fishing the ebb with a nice bow in the line.
Hopefully that all makes sense…

If your fishing slack water then you can fish a rod to your left and right.
When I’m sending both rods uptide I fish one further out than the other and have the lesser range rod facing the tide so on the right hand side of the 2 rods on the flood or the left hand rod if fishing the ebb with a nice bow in the line.
Hopefully that all makes sense…
Sorry for being thick but could you please draw that for me..?😳
PS by the time slack water starts up here it’s just a mess of weed and debris.. I am long gone by then.

Sorry for being thick but could you please draw that for me..?😳
PS by the time slack water starts up here it’s just a mess of weed and debris.. I am long gone by then.
No worries, There you go Flappy,

Attachments

• IMG_6365.jpeg
    IMG_6365.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for that.. totally changes my perspective on beach fishing.. I always place my rods and tripod facing the sea at 90 degrees..👍
Rod position is all down to personal preference. I get better bite detection by positioning my rods 90 degrees ish to where my baits are. You may also find you will start getting more slack line bites Fishing this way

Just had to read that a couple of times as I was confused. On the Lincs coast the flood is left to right….

Back