• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North East Rat House Sunderland, Sunday 18th

SAFC_Grahame

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
There is no dispute that I am a beginner making tons of mistakes regarding a lot of aspects such as casting, bait, tactics along with not really knowing best tides, wind etc. but this Sunday was my best days fishing yet (maybe a bad one for a seasoned angler but who knows), I got set up using squid and handmade flapper rigs of 2 and 3 1/0 hookes that I made myself and pulled in a total of 9 whiting, 6 of which where of size and 3 where just on or under size so got put back. I could see people fishing next to me not really catching much so my question is, what am I doing so wrong to catch more than the "pros"? I feel like I'm a terrible angler regarding technique but I suppose it's working. Also if your read this send a bit advice or a tip my way.

Good report and a good haul of Whiting Grahame - keep 'em coming. 🎣🎣👍👍

There is no dispute that I am a beginner making tons of mistakes regarding a lot of aspects such as casting, bait, tactics along with not really knowing best tides, wind etc. but this Sunday was my best days fishing yet (maybe a bad one for a seasoned angler but who knows), I got set up using squid and handmade flapper rigs of 2 and 3 1/0 hookes that I made myself and pulled in a total of 9 whiting, 6 of which where of size and 3 where just on or under size so got put back. I could see people fishing next to me not really catching much so my question is, what am I doing so wrong to catch more than the "pros"? I feel like I'm a terrible angler regarding technique but I suppose it's working. Also if your read this send a bit advice or a tip my way.

Well done on catching the whiting. Can’t be doing much wrong if you’re catching and others aren’t. To improve any aspect of your technique or other angling knowledge, watch others clearly more knowledgeable than yourself and don’t be frightened to ask questions - either through direct contact or through this forum. Most will be happy to give you a few pointers, even if they won’t divulge their secret fishing marks!

Great catch,your not doing much wrong if your catching, my tip would be just talk to other anglers.This forum is good for advice etc,don't be worried about asking questions, most anglers will help you. Tight lines for when you go fishing next.👍🎣

Welcome to The Forum well Done on catching few Fish Especially if you caught them on your own Rigs has other members have said great info on here if You Ask👍

Well done on catching the whiting. Can’t be doing much wrong if you’re catching and others aren’t. To improve any aspect of your technique or other angling knowledge, watch others clearly more knowledgeable than yourself and don’t be frightened to ask questions - either through direct contact or through this forum. Most will be happy to give you a few pointers, even if they won’t divulge their secret fishing marks!
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I will be pestering quite a bit on the forum.

Great catch,your not doing much wrong if your catching, my tip would be just talk to other anglers.This forum is good for advice etc,don't be worried about asking questions, most anglers will help you. Tight lines for when you go fishing next.👍🎣
I'm sure I will be asking lots of questions, heading out on Sunday and Monday, hoping for a day much the same.

Nice report mate, you must be doing something right to catch fish. Well done. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Just like all of us you will pick things up from other anglers over time. dont be in too much of a hurry the more skilled you get at it the bigger the fish you want to catch thats when the blanks start. you should join the sunderland fishing club you will learn more there.
plenty oF " Mackems" . down shields with your pier closed this year
i bet these guys dont know what a mackem is :giggle:
D.SJ.🦀

Just like all of us you will pick things up from other anglers over time. dont be in too much of a hurry the more skilled you get at it the bigger the fish you want to catch thats when the blanks start. you should join the sunderland fishing club you will learn more there.
plenty oF " Mackems" . down shields with your pier closed this year
i bet these guys dont know what a mackem is :giggle:
D.SJ.🦀
Used to repair roads? :ROFLMAO:

would think a shorter cast and then landing in to gully in front of you

Back