• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Relatively new to Sea fishing. Always had someone set my gear up for me.

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
So I'm relatively new to fishing, to be honest I used to go with my dad and he used to set my rod up for me. Lately been with my friend who has set up my gear for me. I never tied rigs or anything so I guess I'm a complete beginner. I bought a budget spinning rod and reel combo and a budget beachcaster rod and reel combo I can set up a basic float rig but I'm using the line that came equipped with rods on purchase. I'm thinking aboutusing 15lb braid on my spinning rod but what fluorocarbon leader should I use? Should I use fluoro leader with a higher breaking strength or a lower strength and what would you recommend? I know my spinning reel can hold 210m of 10lb 0.27mm line but braid is thinner isn't it?Also I'm thinking of using Braid on my beachcaster but I'm not sure what strength braid to use or what leader to use on this? I'm kinda new and I don't understand a lot of the terminology so go easy on me haha.

Welcome to TSF mate.
I am sure you will get some good advice on here, I myself don't use braid or mangles, so cant advise on what to use, but lots of members on here do, so I know they will help you in this matter.

Tight lines.

Ian.

Thanks guys yeah I'm going to get some books especially for tying different rigs and stuff. I mean, I know how to tie basic lures on (The ones with hooks on them, lures that you have to put onto Jig Heads are a different story as I haven't used them. I would like to experiment with them eventually.) I just didn't know if there was a general rule of thumb for what leaders to use with braid and if they have to be of a lower weight or higher weight than the braid mainline?

Loads of info and educational videos on YouTube. For rig building search out the rig book on the Planet Sea Fishing site 👍

I usd 20lb minimum braid for bass spinning. You can use a FC leader if you like, I use clear mono myself

Loads of info and educational videos on YouTube. For rig building search out the rig book on the Planet Sea Fishing site 👍

I usd 20lb minimum braid for bass spinning. You can use a FC leader if you like, I use clear mono myself
Ah thanks man What weight clear mono do you use with your braid?

Bloke seems to know a lot if new.

Is it another wind up merchant?
I play fishing planet haha so kinda got some knowledge (as stupid as that sounds, i just don't know how to apply it i guess. I used to go pole fishing with my dad and then I bought a carp setup but my friend was always make rigs for me and all I have to do is tie them on and bait up. Again though I know nothing about what line is best, what bait is best what bait is best used when. Now I'm venturing into the world of sea fishing and it's the same thing. Don't know what lures to use in what scenario. Don't know how to use braid effectively. I guess I'm not a total newbie but I do not have a lot of basic knowledge on these kind of things.

I play fishing planet haha so kinda got some knowledge (as stupid as that sounds, i just don't know how to apply it i guess. I used to go pole fishing with my dad and then I bought a carp setup but my friend was always make rigs for me and all I have to do is tie them on and bait up. Again though I know nothing about what line is best, what bait is best what bait is best used when. Now I'm venturing into the world of sea fishing and it's the same thing. Don't know what lures to use in what scenario. Don't know how to use braid effectively. I guess I'm not a total newbie but I do not have a lot of basic knowledge on these kind of things.
Forgot to say loving the name and hope you enjoy👍

Well in that case i would just use Mono and start from there

Google rig set ups and go for the simplest to suit conditions locations and depth

Same with lures what ever you fancy that looks good may suit.

I use a simple method, loop on the line, swivel and loop to your choice of lure

Welcome to the Madhouse Badger! 👍👍

You could do worse than while away a few hours on Youtube for hints & tips. Matt (Saltwater Angler) povides some good tips for lure fishing for Bass, and always replies to any queries from his subscriber's comments. Have a look at his playlists.

I've always used mono, 28Lb on my beach reels, but tried cheap braid and was getting endless wind knots & tangles so back to mono.
The braid that I had tried, is now on my lure reels and it has been fine. As a relative newbie, I would say stick with mono.
A flouro or mono leader is a good idea on a lure reel - mine isn't close to hand this morning so can't remember what strength mine is.

As for your beach setup, I would also say start off with mono but you will need a shockleader of around 70Lb, unless you do decide to go with braid straight through, again of 70 or 80Lb.

If casting say a 6oz weight on a beachcaster, immense forces are generated by putting a load on the rod, so without a shcokleader, your weight & tackle could 'crack off' and end up heading over the horizon. Hence a shockleader just over twice the length of your rod is required to stop that happening.
The rule of thumb is 10Lb breaking strain leader for the maximum oz of weight you intend to use, plus a 10Lb safety margin, so with a 6oz weight, you need a 70Lb leader.

As for rigs, the Planet sea fishing book of rigs mentioned by @Topwater is a good source of info - you can find it online here:

Don't be afraid to keep the questions coming, but it makes it easier to address one thing at a time!

Welcome to the Madhouse Badger! 👍👍

You could do worse than while away a few hours on Youtube for hints & tips. Matt (Saltwater Angler) povides some good tips for lure fishing for Bass, and always replies to any queries from his subscriber's comments. Have a look at his playlists.

I've always used mono, 28Lb on my beach reels, but tried cheap braid and was getting endless wind knots & tangles so back to mono.
The braid that I had tried, is now on my lure reels and it has been fine. As a relative newbie, I would say stick with mono.
A flouro or mono leader is a good idea on a lure reel - mine isn't close to hand this morning so can't remember what strength mine is.

As for your beach setup, I would also say start off with mono but you will need a shockleader of around 70Lb, unless you do decide to go with braid straight through, again of 70 or 80Lb.

If casting say a 6oz weight on a beachcaster, immense forces are generated by putting a load on the rod, so without a shcokleader, your weight & tackle could 'crack off' and end up heading over the horizon. Hence a shockleader just over twice the length of your rod is required to stop that happening.
The rule of thumb is 10Lb breaking strain leader for the maximum oz of weight you intend to use, plus a 10Lb safety margin, so with a 6oz weight, you need a 70Lb leader.

As for rigs, the Planet sea fishing book of rigs mentioned by @Topwater is a good source of info - you can find it online here:

Don't be afraid to keep the questions coming, but it makes it easier to address one thing at a time!
Thank you so much for all of this, yeah I managed to find the book of rigs and downloaded it as a PDF last night so yeah thanks to everyone who mentioned it.

Is the shockleader more for bottom fishing? I have a couple of Float fishing kits but the weights included in one of them was a 42g/1.4oz. The weights are surely bigger for bottom fishing aren't they?

I've been float fishing like 3 or 4 times with my mates but again he has set the rod up, using green crabs to catch wrasse, but I don't think he had a shock leader.

Thanks man.

Thank you so much for all of this, yeah I managed to find the book of rigs and downloaded it as a PDF last night so yeah thanks to everyone who mentioned it.

Is the shockleader more for bottom fishing? I have a couple of Float fishing kits but the weights included in one of them was a 42g/1.4oz. The weights are surely bigger for bottom fishing aren't they?

I've been float fishing like 3 or 4 times with my mates but again he has set the rod up, using green crabs to catch wrasse, but I don't think he had a shock leader.

Thanks man.
If you are float fishing with a light rod & 42g weight, you probably don't need a shockleader. Anglers float fishing usually aren't casting great distances.
If you are beach casting with a 3/4oz lead or more, I would definitely use one.

Back