• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Relatively new to Sea fishing. Always had someone set my gear up for me.

Ah okay with the shock leader how would I tie that on? Is it possible to tie it on to my mainline that's already on my reel? Or does the shockleader have to be tied to the line before it is spooled onto the reel? The videos I've seen are people tying it on to line that hasn't already been spooled onto a reel? Sorry I'm useless haha.

Welcome MB, join a local sea fishing club is the best advice imo.

Welcome MB, join a local sea fishing club is the best advice imo.
I thought this was the local angling club.. :)🤣🎣

Ian.

Ah okay with the shock leader how would I tie that on? Is it possible to tie it on to my mainline that's already on my reel? Or does the shockleader have to be tied to the line before it is spooled onto the reel? The videos I've seen are people tying it on to line that hasn't already been spooled onto a reel? Sorry I'm useless haha.
😁😁 main line goes on the reel first, then tie your shockleader to the end of that. Lots of different knots you can use, some more complicated & different to others. I use a 'double Uni Knot'. You can find out how to tie that on Youtube - just do a search for it.
It's not the best knot for tying two lines of different diameter, but it does me, and it's fairly easy to tie.

Hello and welcome, There used to be a great tackle shop in Camborne i dont know if its still there they would be able to help you out. Theres also Camborne Sea Angling Club i know a few lads who were members for many years they used to regularly hold competitions, If you contact the Sea Angling Club someone will probably be more than willing to take you with them sometime and help you become confident with everything knots lines hooks bait etc. You have some great fishing spots not far from you. Portreath is a great beach for Bass. Good luck i hope you get into a few fish soon!

😁😁 main line goes on the reel first, then tie your shockleader to the end of that. Lots of different knots you can use, some more complicated & different to others. I use a 'double Uni Knot'. You can find out how to tie that on Youtube - just do a search for it.
It's not the best knot for tying two lines of different diameter, but it does me, and it's fairly easy to tie.
Ah legend man, thank you! I didn't know if you could tie it onto the mainline once the line was already on the reel. All the videos I've seen for it just shows someone tying two spools of line together not to mainline on a reel. That probably sounds stupid i know 🤣 im useless when it comes to looking at a rig and back engineering it, knowing what goes on when etc. I'm the same when looking at someone play something on guitar, give me a guitar tab and i can probably figure it out but watching someone and trying to replicate that on my guitar I find confusing. Its the same with looking at a made rig and working backwards trying to replicate i struggle with. Don't ask... 🤣🤣

So once you have tied the shockleader to the main line, would you then tie whatever rig you want to use on the end of the shockleader? Or would you have to tie a different line to the end of the shockleader for your rig?

Yeah Cornwall is pretty mint for fishing spots to be honest. Na it's not there anymore mate. Absolutely gutted. I think the one in Redruth has closed too so I'm not sure where the local one is, Hayle maybe? Yeah I'm gonna see if my mate wants to go in the week. I need to get some driving lessons done then I have the freedom to go wherever. Thanks for the info man I will check out Camborne Sea Anglers though. 😊

All the videos I've seen for it just shows someone tying two spools of line together not to mainline on a reel.
When guys are demonstrating knots on Youtube, it's easier to just have two spools of line for the knot demonstration, than have the Reel and/or Rod sat in front of them! Principle of the knot is the same!

So once you have tied the shockleader to the main line, would you then tie whatever rig you want to use on the end of the shockleader?
Yep. It goes mainline > Shockleader > Rig body with traces & hooks depending on what rig you are using.

My favourite rods have got fairly small tip eyes, so I tie a 'figure of eight' loop in the end of my leader.
Once I've threaded the line through the rod rings, I pass the figure of 8 loop through the top eye of a snap swivel, put the swivel back through the loop and pull it tight. Then you can attach your rig to the snap clip. I usually use these:
1713168055488.jpeg

Many different ways of doing things, and everyone has their favourites, but that is my preferred method.

Fishing Tackle shops near you include Jim's in Redruth (bought some things online from him - good service)
https://www.jimsonline.co.uk/ I think he also has an eBay store.

JJ Bait & Tackle, 8 Green Ln, Redruth TR15 1JT - couldn't find a website.

JB Baits & Tackle in Helston:

Newtown Angling centre, Newtown near Penzance, TR20 9AE

There's also Gwinear Angling, Gwinear Farm, Newquay TR8 5JX. They have a Youtube channel and seem to have a huge shop.

Hope all of my Waffle helps! As said before, go visit a few tackle shops, get some advice face to face, or join Camborne Angling club.
I think it is £15 per year.

When guys are demonstrating knots on Youtube, it's easier to just have two spools of line for the knot demonstration, than have the Reel and/or Rod sat in front of them! Principle of the knot is the same!

Yep. It goes mainline > Shockleader > Rig body with traces & hooks depending on what rig you are using.

My favourite rods have got fairly small tip eyes, so I tie a 'figure of eight' loop in the end of my leader.
Once I've threaded the line through the rod rings, I pass the figure of 8 loop through the top eye of a snap swivel, put the swivel back through the loop and pull it tight. Then you can attach your rig to the snap clip. I usually use these:
View attachment 62334

Many different ways of doing things, and everyone has their favourites, but that is my preferred method.

Fishing Tackle shops near you include Jim's in Redruth (bought some things online from him - good service)
https://www.jimsonline.co.uk/ I think he also has an eBay store.

JJ Bait & Tackle, 8 Green Ln, Redruth TR15 1JT - couldn't find a website.

JB Baits & Tackle in Helston:

Newtown Angling centre, Newtown near Penzance, TR20 9AE

There's also Gwinear Angling, Gwinear Farm, Newquay TR8 5JX. They have a Youtube channel and seem to have a huge shop.

Hope all of my Waffle helps! As said before, go visit a few tackle shops, get some advice face to face, or join Camborne Angling club.
I think it is £15 per year.
Ah awesome thank you so much for all of this info that has helped me so much. So the shockleader is tied to a swivel and then the choice of rig onto that?

Thank you mate I know the guy in Redruth, JJ bait and tackle was closing down months and months ago and when i popped in last, probably around 3 months ago most of his stock was gone. So I guess he's probably gone by now but Helston isn't too far away.

I'm definitely thinking about joining an Angling club, I'll definitely do that once I've got my driving sorted anyhow.

Thanks mate.

So I'm relatively new to fishing, to be honest I used to go with my dad and he used to set my rod up for me. Lately been with my friend who has set up my gear for me. I never tied rigs or anything so I guess I'm a complete beginner. I bought a budget spinning rod and reel combo and a budget beachcaster rod and reel combo I can set up a basic float rig but I'm using the line that came equipped with rods on purchase. I'm thinking aboutusing 15lb braid on my spinning rod but what fluorocarbon leader should I use? Should I use fluoro leader with a higher breaking strength or a lower strength and what would you recommend? I know my spinning reel can hold 210m of 10lb 0.27mm line but braid is thinner isn't it?Also I'm thinking of using Braid on my beachcaster but I'm not sure what strength braid to use or what leader to use on this? I'm kinda new and I don't understand a lot of the terminology so go easy on me haha.
I would suggest that you avoid braid on either set up.
If they are at the budget end the reels are likely not to have good enough line lay for braid.
That will then give you no end of wind knots and you will get pissed off and fed up.

That's what I've been thinking
I'm relatively new to sea fishing yeah and no I'm not a wind up merchant, i'm here because I wanted some advice and I thought a sea fishing forum would be the best place for it? I don't see what the problem is Wolf? Isn't that why we are all here?

I'm relatively new to sea fishing yeah and no I'm not a wind up merchant, i'm here because I wanted some advice and I thought a sea fishing forum would be the best place for it? I don't see what the problem is Wolf? Isn't that why we are all here?
I wouldn’t worry about it mate.. most people have him on ignore.

I would suggest that you avoid braid on either set up.
If they are at the budget end the reels are likely not to have good enough line lay for braid.
That will then give you no end of wind knots and you will get pissed off and fed up.
That and braid can be pretty shit…

Back