• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Relatively new to Sea fishing. Always had someone set my gear up for me.

That's not my experience. I like it on FS and boat casting multies. It definitely has its place

I couldn't get on with it on my beachcasting reel, but removed it and put the same braid on 2 Shimano Lure reels and it's been fine.
As Thrasher said, might have been to do with line lay. I think I tried it on an old beach F/S reel.

Since I was last out fishing, I've bought a spare spool for my Surfblaster and some braid recommended by someone on here, but haven't got around to loading it on the spool yet.

That and braid can be pretty shit…
Never had a bad experience with braid itself. The only time I have was due to the reel I was using. Mind you I have been uskng braid for spinning for salmon for donkeys years and all on Shimano's mostly and it was Berkeley Spiderwire so a good combo straight from the off.

I like it for boat fishing, anywhere else I just can’t get on with it, and I have tried
I don't know how I'd live without it for lure fishing. It really has been a game changer. Dont use it for the limited ammount of beachcasting I do these days, I've always preferred a multi loaded with mono on my marks. As always, its each to their own 👍

I don't know how I'd live without it for lure fishing. It really has been a game changer. Dont use it for the limited ammount of beachcasting I do these days, I've always preferred a multi loaded with mono on my marks. As always, its each to their own 👍
I saw something on youtube where he wraps electrical tape around the reel first before he puts braid on the reel because it acts as a cushion. Line lay? Does that mean how the line sits on the reel? I will eventually get a better spinning rod and reel but I just bought a cheap kit so I can just get out there. I'm tempted to try braid on my spinning setup maybe 20lb?

I don’t really lure fish so haven’t experienced it in that context, admittedly

I saw something on youtube where he wraps electrical tape around the reel first before he puts braid on the reel because it acts as a cushion. Line lay? Does that mean how the line sits on the reel? I will eventually get a better spinning rod and reel but I just bought a cheap kit so I can just get out there. I'm tempted to try braid on my spinning setup maybe 20lb?
Electrical tape is one way of securing the braid down onto the spool to prevent the whole lot spinning around the spool arbour when under pressure. I use a bed of mono as backing line and put 150m of braid on top. This makes reversing and changing lines easy and means you don't have a ton of braid on the spool that never sees the light of day.

Line lay is exactly that - the way the line is laid on the spool. Technology has improved reels in this department, with slow oscillation and better line rollers, rotors etc but the key to avoiding 'wind knots' is to avoid any and all slack line getting onto the spool - I do this by always closing the bail arm manually (avoiding any initial slack line loops) and pinching the line whilst taking up the initial slack. Alllow excessive slack in the system and even the best reel in the world can throw up 'wind knots' ( there's no such thing as wind knots btw they are slack line loops that create a tangle that knots on the cast). Good line management becomes 2nd nature. Good braid isn't that cheap in comparison to mono, so look after it!
20lb is about right for bass fishing imo. If anything maybe go a bit heavier say 24/25lb for starters as slightly thicker lines are a bit easier to manage. The main pointers I can give you are to fit the braid right in the 1st place - wind it on under pressure through a wet cloth and do not to over fill the spool, infact deliberately under fill it by 2 or 3 mm.

Last edited:
Personally, I’d advise a newcomer to stick with mono. It’s more forgiving, cheaper and perhaps crucially, easier to untangle.

You’ll inevitably make mistakes as you learn and sometimes that will lead to tangles.
Standing on a rock or beach on a windy day with a mess of tangled braid could put you off fishing pretty quickly !

Okay I don’t enjoy using braid for shore fishing but a lot of people do, so I’m not saying don’t use it at all, but I’d certainly suggest keeping it simple to begin with and mono would make more sense to me if you’re just starting out.

Personally, I’d advise a newcomer to stick with mono. It’s more forgiving, cheaper and perhaps crucially, easier to untangle.

You’ll inevitably make mistakes as you learn and sometimes that will lead to tangles.
Standing on a rock or beach on a windy day with a mess of tangled braid could put you off fishing pretty quickly !

Okay I don’t enjoy using braid for shore fishing but a lot of people do, so I’m not saying don’t use it at all, but I’d certainly suggest keeping it simple to begin with and mono would make more sense to me if you’re just starting out.
He's asking about putting braid on his spinning outfit MrF

He's asking about putting braid on his spinning outfit MrF
Fair enough but even so if you’re an outright newbie I think I’d avoid it altogether.

If he’s done a bit of spinning before then probably not much of an issue.

Although unless it’s mackie central imo spinning isn’t the best way to start sea fishing in any case.

Float fishing is acceptable! 😂

Back