• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rod holdall/quiver

Not sure if you need one. I like them to keep Rods safe on the move and in transport. I just have the extra long IMAX one so the whole rod is protected. I don’t like the ones where there is half the rod on

I bought a Shakespeare Agility one & love it. As Ollie said, it protects the rods well, and has got a zip around the bottom to extend it by 50cm for longer rods. Folk have said if you use the extension, it is too low to the ground on your shoulder, but I haven't needed the extension.
It also has straps for attaching my Salt tripod to the outside.
Mine usually lives in an alcove in the lounge, but was 'told' to move it for Chrimbo, so I put 5 rods inside their bags in it. Plenty of room, and a full length zip too.
I think I got mine from eBay, but lots of places seem to be currently out of stock online.

1701942775345.jpeg

Tried them but they just don't suit my fishing - where do you put them once the rods are in the tripod? I primarily fish a very open and windswept stretch of shallow, long shelving beach, most often wading out to around knee depth with tripod and all. This obviously does not suit seatboxes, never mind tents, base camp gear etc so I carry minimal gear. Mostly I use jacket pockets and two screw top tubs that are cable tied on the angle bar of my tripod, backed up with a small rucksack that's hung from the tripod hook.
I use 3 of the long foam covered twist ties off ebay and bundle two rods and tripod together with a wrap of the tie around each item separating them to stop them touching/scraping in transit. Once at the shore the ties get wrapped around the tripod and the tails used to hold the rods in position. This way when I'm backing up the beach on the flood I can back off my drags, put the ratchets on and pick the whole lot up to walk it back to the next position. Less is more and mobility will catch you more 🐟 😉

If you're not sure if you need one then you probably don't. Don't really see the need for them myself. Just something else to carry.
Bit like the other day when I went in the shop for some bits, quite a lot actually. The assistant asked if I wanted a bag. I said “ Don’t you think I’ve got enough to carry?”

If you're not sure if you need one then you probably don't. Don't really see the need for them myself. Just something else to carry.
Actually I do use one, with two rods, tripod and shelter, just makes it easier. Seat box on my back so use the carry handle one hand and lantern in the other.

Tried them but they just don't suit my fishing - where do you put them once the rods are in the tripod? I primarily fish a very open and windswept stretch of shallow, long shelving beach, most often wading out to around knee depth with tripod and all. This obviously does not suit seatboxes, never mind tents, base camp gear etc so I carry minimal gear. Mostly I use jacket pockets and two screw top tubs that are cable tied on the angle bar of my tripod, backed up with a small rucksack that's hung from the tripod hook.
I use 3 of the long foam covered twist ties off ebay and bundle two rods and tripod together with a wrap of the tie around each item separating them to stop them touching/scraping in transit. Once at the shore the ties get wrapped around the tripod and the tails used to hold the rods in position. This way when I'm backing up the beach on the flood I can back off my drags, put the ratchets on and pick the whole lot up to walk it back to the next position. Less is more and mobility will catch you more 🐟 😉
True but you know the sw, mostly stay put rock marks.

Actually I do use one, with two rods, tripod and shelter, just makes it easier. Seat box on my back so use the carry handle one hand and lantern in the other.
If you just want to plonk yourself down on the beach and stay there no matter what then fine but, if I'm not doing too well, or I just get bored, then I prefer to up sticks and move, hence I like to keep everything down to an absolute minimum.

Bit like the other day when I went in the shop for some bits, quite a lot actually. The assistant asked if I wanted a bag. I said “ Don’t you think I’ve got enough to carry?”
Not really. A few strong elastic bands keeps my bundle together just as well as any rod bag.

A holdall Ollie that covers the whole rod?

Not in stock but you get the idea

If you just want to plonk yourself down on the beach and stay there no matter what then fine but, if I'm not doing too well, or I just get bored, then I prefer to up sticks and move, hence I like to keep everything down to an absolute minimum.
That’s what I do! The Lincolnshire beaches are basically mile after mile of often featureless sand so unless you want to walk a long way or drive somewhere different there’s not a lot of point in moving.

That’s what I do! The Lincolnshire beaches are basically mile after mile of often featureless sand so unless you want to walk a long way or drive somewhere different there’s not a lot of point in moving.
Not like that here. I can fish open beach, rough ground, concrete breakwater, harbour, all within walking distance of each other.

A carry handle is maybe what I am misding. Currently I use some straps that came with an old rucksack I bought years ago. Two rods and tripod get strappd top and bottom. I then tend to carry the bundle holding kn to the legs of the tripod.

A carry handle is maybe what I am misding. Currently I use some straps that came with an old rucksack I bought years ago. Two rods and tripod get strappd top and bottom. I then tend to carry the bundle holding kn to the legs of the tripod.
My hold-all was removed from a skip many years ago! Cannot remember the make as it’s in the garage and pissing down outside! It would have been expensive in its day though I’m sure, really heavy well made thing. It has shoulder straps and a carry handle.

Back