• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sand spike

Wolf

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone use sand spikes when fishing the beach? . I'm thinking of getting a pair,so any advice/comments would be helpful

Better than a tripod if you are fishing a flat beach where the tide forces you to move frequently, especially if you fish two rods.
The double rod spikes are next to useless.

Often use them!!! Tripods seem to go over too.much!!!! Got to find a good place to dig them!

Better than a tripod if you are fishing a flat beach where the tide forces you to move frequently, especially if you fish two rods.
The double rod spikes are next to useless.
Just put the reel on ratchet and in free spool, can move where you like.

Of course that means using multis, unless you’ve got baitrunners…

I use Salt sand spikes for shingle and sand, not the cheapest but strong and good quality.

Loose the drag off on normal fixed spools,get a run give out Twenty foot of line on a running.ledger,tighten the drag a bit hold the spool then hit it!

4ft sections of that yellow pipe that the gas board use, the thinner one sort of 3-4 inches in diameter make good alternatives.

Tripod for me.
If you have two rods you need to be able to put one on some sort of temporary rest, I use my trolley, then I move the other rod and tripod, with the (multi for me) reel in free spool, and set up again one handed. Its the two rest approach, I use my trolly to bait up and set it up at the top of the beach from the off.
Tidy it all up when you're in your new position.
A bit fiddly but if I'm fishing from low up then I'll probably do it no more than 4 times in a session.
If you are fishing a venue from low up you can always set up high up the beach and walk to the water to cast.

Hope that makes sense.

Tripod too - if anyone can find one! Two rods moved together when fishing it up and over on the golden sands of Blackpool. 10m plus tidal range means you're moving a fair bit at times here. Sand spike for single rod when pumping bait or on holiday stints

I used to use sand spikes exclusively, it was very easy to move up and down the beaches with the tide, but difficult to get one to sit secure on shingle beaches at high tide. Now I tend to use tripods all the time. Single rod, low tide fishing and I’d happily use a sand spike.

I do have a sand spike.
It's a length of aluminium angle, cut to a point at the end, with an empty sealant tube taped to the bottom.
Weighs next to nothing, maybe I should dig it out and give it a go again.

Nope, just slacken the drag off on F/S enough for the line to pay out as you move back the beach. Simples!

I've thought about getting a pair of sand spikes but for the amount of time I manage to get out, I just make do with a tripod as it covers rocks, piers and all situations. I have wondered whether a decent pair of sand spikes would be nearly as heavy as a tripod anyway. I did see some useful looking sand spikes some years back that had a foot plate halfway down to make it easier to push the spike well into the sand/shingle, but I'm guessing they were welded steel so definitely not light.

Just found these - they're Aluminium and lightweight, but unfortunately from the USA. $33.00.

images

I've thought about getting a pair of sand spikes but for the amount of time I manage to get out, I just make do with a tripod as it covers rocks, piers and all situations. I have wondered whether a decent pair of sand spikes would be nearly as heavy as a tripod anyway. I did see some useful looking sand spikes some years back that had a foot plate halfway down to make it easier to push the spike well into the sand/shingle, but I'm guessing they were welded steel so definitely not light.

Just found these - they're Aluminium and lightweight, but unfortunately from the USA. $33.00.

images
Any decent local metal worker would be able to copy them.

Nope, just slacken the drag off on F/S enough for the line to pay out as you move back the beach. Simples!
I quite agree but I’ve seen a fair few FS users that seems to be beyond, not sure why!

I know my mate was always cackhanded and seemed to manage to lose the drag knob on his reels every time he loosened it ???

Back