• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sand spike

just put the reel on back wind and walk back
Wouldn’t that result in an overrun?

I suppose it depends where you fish, but on some of my local surf beaches you’re walking back easily 80 yards a time - it’s enough effort moving one box and one tripod.

Saying that, sandspikes are handy things but it wouldn’t really work for me unless I only had one rod.

Wouldn’t that result in an overrun?
Not really you just feather the reel as you walk back , never really tried it with two rods but i reckon i could do it , i prefer to use one rod makes me far more mobile when required and all my attention goes into the rod which normally catches me more fish.

I've just weighed my aluminium sand spikes, each weighs 625g,

the steel ones weigh 1016g each

My tripod weighs 1,573g

With the sand spike you can pick up rod and spike together in one hand and control the reel paying out or reeling in with the other keeping tension so that the lie isn't in the mud/weed/whatever.

One thing I would advise on spikes is to put some reflective tape on them, I spent minutes trying to find the other rod on Amroth beach on a flooding tide, it's easy to become disorientated on a flat featureless beach..

Not really you just feather the reel as you walk back , never really tried it with two rods but i reckon i could do it , i prefer to use one rod makes me far more mobile when required and all my attention goes into the rod which normally catches me more fish.
I like two on a surf beach, different baits, different distances etc.

If I was really really serious I’d stand in the surf and touch ledger, but then I can’t drink me coffee!

With multis I can just put ratchet on, put in free spool and walk.

Not that there’s a right or wrong way, it’s about what we prefer, after all.

I've just weighed my aluminium sand spikes, each weighs 625g,

the steel ones weigh 1016g each

My tripod weighs 1,573g

With the sand spike you can pick up rod and spike together in one hand and control the reel paying out or reeling in with the other keeping tension so that the lie isn't in the mud/weed/whatever.

One thing I would advise on spikes is to put some reflective tape on them, I spent minutes trying to find the other rod on Amroth beach on a flooding tide, it's easy to become disorientated on a flat featureless beach..
Interesting Cap'n. So two alloy spikes a bit lighter than a Tripod, but two steel spikes half a Kg heavier. Useful info. ??

I tried an alloy sand spike a few years ago but couldn't get on with it myself. They're definitely a good idea for certain venues and if only using one rod, but not for me.
Regarding moving back with the tide, I've always just slackened both drags off in my fs reels, picked the tripod up and walked back with it, then hang my bag back on it when I've put it in position. I'll admit it isn't the lightest setup to move but easier for me than resetting a sand spike. Plus I can move back in one go without having to go back to get a second rod/box/etc... Though I do fish light and have all the main bits in the side pockets of my bag.

I tried an alloy sand spike a few years ago but couldn't get on with it myself. They're definitely a good idea for certain venues and if only using one rod, but not for me.
Regarding moving back with the tide, I've always just slackened both drags off in my fs reels, picked the tripod up and walked back with it, then hang my bag back on it when I've put it in position. I'll admit it isn't the lightest setup to move but easier for me than resetting a sand spike. Plus I can move back in one go without having to go back to get a second rod/box/etc... Though I do fish light and have all the main bits in the side pockets of my bag.
That’s pretty much my approach, except with multis. My box has to be moved separately but immediate bits I need such as elastic and spare baited traces etc are on the tripod.

We have such a big tidal range that we can move back hundreds of yards on some local beaches in the course of a session

With multis I can just put ratchet on, put in free spool and walk
You can with a fixed spool because most good fixed spool reels have a quick drag so with in a quarter of a turn your from full lock to free spool .Not all fixed spool reels have this function and you normally get the quick drag in the higher price range reels , but saying that more fixed spool reels are being converted to work with a quick drag. The reel in that photo has a quick drag.

Back