• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea Hooks?

Beach

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Any views on either circle hooks, barbed beak (long & short shanked) Aberdeen etc.
I tend to use long shanked barbed beak as it tends to keep the bait (worms etc) more secure.

Any views on either circle hooks, barbed beak (long & short shanked) Aberdeen etc.
I tend to use long shanked barbed beak as it tends to keep the bait (worms etc) more secure.
The barbed beak hook as still got its followers and i think ive got a couple of hundred left from years ago . I preferred the VMC ones because they didn't snap real easy and they had a very sharp point. Circle hooks i like for the back hook when fishing a penal rig the Sukuma 440 in either a 2/0 or a 3/0

Circle as the top of a pennell rig.
Strong but springy hooks over rough ground,ie mustad Viking.
Aberdeen, a good all round all purpose hook.

I use mustad or vmo’s almost exclusively. I like the veals BMX’s for a lot of things but I am extremely confident In mustad hooks, that being the case I use them for pretty much everything!
Having said that I do use B940’s which are excellent.

I use the varivas super match extras in sizes 4 or 2 for fishing with lug or rag. Landed some decent fish on them, eels to 15lb plus, and double hounds, they will bend though. Lost some stonking fish on the big mouth extras, they can snap right on the bend of the hook, happened to me a few times. I use sakuma or varivas hooks size 3/0 for lots of my fishing, again they do bend but retain thier sharpness /point for longer than other hooks. For cheap and cheerful, phoxinous hooks are similar to the kamasan Aberdeens, they rust but at the price offer good value for money.

You have to match your hook sizes to the spieces you are after and the bait you are using
You can catch big fish on small hooks, and vice versa. I use circle hooks all the time, as i don't eat fish, so they are far better for catch and release and prevent a lot of deep hooking and fatal damage to fish.

Ian.

Kassiman b940 S short shanked 4 to 4/0 sharp as feck hook up rate gone up since I started got put on em orso a fan of varivas abberdeen in sz 2 and sendra circle hooks5/0 kicked ass 2 weeks ago off the boat got some 2/0 to try on the beach happy so far

I generally like a sharp, strong hook... BMX, Catfish, Chinu, b940 are my main hooks.... Have tried full circles, just don't seem to work well for me .. Semi are fine.

Last edited:
I like the Koike specimen wide mouth hooks, strong and sharp, and cheaper than the others, get 50 for just over a fiver ! or 100 for under £9

I was fishing a snaggy mark the other day and ended up on uptides after loosing a hook.

I am definitely leaning towards longer Aberdeen style hooks now as the extra length just allows more flex for getting off snags.

Varivas will bend out nice out of snags as long as your lead comes out?
Shaggy marks I will bend the wires right out on grippers to stop it getting down a gap,don’t use rotten bottoms very often.

Back