• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

shock leaders

I’m curious, how has it changed your fishing?

The feel of the cast, and the power transfer due to lack of stretch. Also find landing fish in a big swell is easier due to the thinner diameter.
I’ve started using braid for short hook snoods during spider crab season, seem to get less “hook loss” as its more difficult for them to cut.
I use it in my carp fishing now aswel, the accuracy on a braided leader is 10x better than that of mono.
Maybe its just me, but it has changed my angling alot.

Also i dont see a downside to using braid leader in any situation weather it be beach, lake, river etc.

The feel of the cast, and the power transfer due to lack of stretch. Also find landing fish in a big swell is easier due to the thinner diameter.
I’ve started using braid for short hook snoods during spider crab season, seem to get less “hook loss” as its more difficult for them to cut.
I use it in my carp fishing now aswel, the accuracy on a braided leader is 10x better than that of mono.

Also i dont see a downside to using braid leader in any situation weather it be beach, lake, river etc.
I’ve always been a traditionalist. Never had an issue with mono lines and leaders and know how it fishes to the point at times of creating bites by letting line out or tightening up etc, maybe I could experiment and try a third rod?? So… out of interest which braids would you suggest purely for a leader?

I remember stren,wish I could still get hold of it ,
I remember being a keen 18yo having just bought my first (and last) zziplex ( a 2500M) still have it. And teaming it up with stren bright yellow leader, trace body and hook length and catching codling like they were going out of fashion!!
Wouldn’t dream of fishing like that now!
Weird how times change!

I’ve always been a traditionalist. Never had an issue with mono lines and leaders and know how it fishes to the point at times of creating bites by letting line out or tightening up etc, maybe I could experiment and try a third rod?? So… out of interest which braids would you suggest purely for a leader?
I use 120lb braid. Will try and find the brand for you. I dont use expensive stuff on the beach. Just cheap stuff. A member on here who i fish with got me on it.

Hi folks, Would it be okay to use braid as shock leader or is that a bad idea? TIA
Morning Rab
Like J Richards says there’s no downside fishing braid leaders
I’ve fished for years with 90lb 4 strand braid leader around 6 meters on to .35 mono mainline connected the two with a double uni knot very strong and small knot to go thru the rings
I mainly fish multis and have attached a rubber flap to the reel seat for extra grip of the spool (veals)
I do cut and new knot before the next outing , a leader would usually last about 6 sessions before replacing it
100 m of braid is around £8 ish
Hope this helps
Gray

Braid generally is poor for shock loads and abrasion.

Some lads as can be seen here, use it with no issues.... Maybe mostly on clean beaches?... I've no idea, but I would suggest going over 100lb if using a braid leader, def use something heavier than you would if your used to mono leaders, and maybe stick with a 4 strand braid, as these tend to be tougher than 8 and higher strand.

Braid generally is poor for shock loads and abrasion.

Some lads as can be seen here, use it with no issues.... Maybe mostly on clean beaches?... I've no idea, but I would suggest going over 100lb if using a braid leader, def use something heavier than you would if your used to mono leaders, and maybe stick with a 4 strand braid, as these tend to be tougher than 8 and higher strand.

I mainly fish clean beaches, but would use it on the channel aswel. Never had one go on me.
I find mono alot more problematic than braid. I dont think i would use a mono leader again.

For carp fishing i find braid the same, if fishing snaggy waters i would use braid.
Just my thoughts, obviously others will disagree. Thats the beauty of fishing, everyone is different. 👍🏻

As they say… “if its not broken, dont fix it”

Go on to Ebay, find Dorisea.uk and use any of the four strand braid, I use it in 80lb and 100lb. They sell Dorisea, Saratoga, strike through, probably all the same stuff.
I use the 30lb and 40lb in eight strand as a mainline.

When we met charr you were telling me to give braid shockleader a go which i am going to do this year . But i normally use a link to attach my traces to my leaders . What knot would you suggest for this ?

When we met charr you were telling me to give braid shockleader a go which i am going to do this year . But i normally use a link to attach my traces to my leaders . What knot would you suggest for this ?
I normally use a figure of 8 knot to make a loop on the end of my leader - thread it through the loop of the swivel/link/rig clip, and the swivel back through the loop, and pull it tight.
It means you don't have to keep tying /untiying the rig clip or swivel, just remove it when packing up to save any metal hitting the rod rings.

When we met charr you were telling me to give braid shockleader a go which i am going to do this year . But i normally use a link to attach my traces to my leaders . What knot would you suggest for this
Evening Colin
Yep Trampsters on it
I cut my link off with my trace at the end of the session
I always re-tie my links and braid leaders after every session ( I don’t think mono and braid is a long term marriage as braid will cut into mono , I lost a big ray with J Richards once with poor /old knots never again Always ret-tie with a decent knot
As I said double uni knot not a problem since
If I’m doubtful during a sess re-tie
Mr King put me on braid and have never looked back

Carp fishing 😳😳😳gaaaaaaay

I'm curious as to the abrasion resistance of braid leaders.
For years we were taught to add a mono rubbing leader to braid as it was better at dealing with abrasion.
Has this changed?

Back