• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

SKS rods

Wolf

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Does anyone use the SKS black shore rod 13ft,im thinking of buying a pair,any advice on them would be helpful

They are classed as light beach casters, casting weight 4-6oz they handle a 5oz lead well. The blank isn’t the slimmest, but they have large eyes rung for both multis and fixed spools, it’s a compromise really, but I used them reel down with multis with no issues. My son uses them reel up with fixed spools and I hit similar distances with both. They come with a sliding reel seat which locks down well and you can set the reel for what’s best for you. The tips a bit stiff, but will show up bites and rattles well enough. My wife and 12yr old boy both use these rods and both can chuck a 4oz lead 60-70yrds ok. I’ve had bass to 6lb on them, I used them for my main rods until I upgraded to my Leeda icon elite match rods (thanks wingnut!) they aren’t too heavy, they bend well through a cast too. The inner guides can be a bit fragile, I ordered a pair online and the butt eye was damaged on arrival. The rod bags are shite, they are made of tissue paper, so a decent padded hold-all is a must. The decals etc are pretty smart, not too overstated. Tip tape is a useful addition for night fishing. The tip is white. I’ve got a buggered shoulder and I could compress these blanks and hit a decent distance with both fixed spools and multis. I wouldn’t try to pendulum cast with one though, it won’t take that. Over Sandy/clean/mixed ground they handle it well. Rocky ground and heavy ground they may be found wanting overall they aren’t bad rods in my opinion.

To add to the above, i pendulumed the 12ft model i bought for my nephew. It didn’t snap, it was quite a plesent rod to cast (maybe a bit floppy). For the money they are very a good rod. Would i buy them for me to use, prob not. Can’t put my finger on why, i’ve owned other Sonik rods and enjoyed them, but the these rods i just cannot work out what it is, i just did not like them.

I've got a couple of the 12 ft FS version, ouchthathurt has pretty much summed them up perfectly, there really isn't alot else to be said about them. I don't think you would find much better for the same money.

Thanks for the advice lads,I will have to have a serious think about them,

Here's another on the same site that finishes 9 mins after the other rod.There is also another that ends later.If they can be picked up at a good price they are a better option to the SKS Black.

Peloquin who used to post on here had a pair of them if I remember correctly and always had good things to say about them.
Mate has one and seems happy enough with it.

My mate has 4 uses them here and up the channel on snaggy ground think they suffer a bit from eye inserts falling out but at the price they are don’t think it’s an issue seem to tick a lot of boxes at ghat price mate

Back